Note to New Members ×

Fixing heel bail flop on TD1s

drzrm

Hey guys,

I just did a WTB for a now obsolete spring for the TD1s, but I was wondering if others had come up with an alternate fix for the heel bail flop on these bindings. I just want the heel of my rear binding to be more accessable, I have enough difficulty reaching my toe standing on the snow, fiddling with the heel is a serious pain when I come off the lift. I'm riding Burton Furnace boots, so an upgrade to step-ins is not possible without changing boots. I've done a search (TD1 spring) but didn't come up with much.

Thanks for your help!

PS I had a great first hardboot day at Wachusetts yesterday. Thanks Bob and Tonja and Sean for all your help.

I bent the bail ever so slightly so that it was bowed outwards. Then the added friction against the bolt heads holds the bail in whatever position it was last in. Then just position it roughly with your foot just before stepping in.

Crude, but effective! You don't need to bend the bail very much at all to do this. Bending inwards will achieve the same thing.

I bent the bail ever so slightly so that it was bowed outwards. Then the added friction against the bolt heads holds the bail in whatever position it was last in. Then just position it roughly with your foot just before stepping in.

Crude, but effective! You don't need to bend the bail very much at all to do this. Bending inwards will achieve the same thing.

Yep, same thing that I did. Still running TD1 standards and no problems in the past 13yrs.

Ink

rather then bending the bails this is what I did and you only have to remove one side of the bail. Go out and find a couple of o-rings to slip over the end of the bail. Slide the o-ring clear over to the side that you didn't disconnect and slip it in between the heel block and the bail, it just has to provide some friction. I had o-rings installed on both sides but one o-ring should provide the necessary friction. Buy a few different sizes to try them out, they arent expensive. Pick up a few more because they will end of breaking with use.

It's a quick fix to that particular problem