Note to New Members ×

Anyone near Jackson, WY?

two_ravens

• 2 weeks later...

Chubz, double check on those lift tickets and see if there is any way to exchange or use them for Grand Targhee - not a ton of snow there now, but all good quality and all runs open, and shuttle from Jackson available daily. If it's a no go, then have a very serious talk with the snow gods!!! We'll do what we can on our end....

:( My wife based her decision on a short list I gave her of places I would consider and on snowfall histories.

Once again, coming from PA, your worst year is probably better than our best.

Anyway, whether conditions are good, great or ok, the important thing for me is that my wife did what she did to suprise me with the trip. :ices_ange

She gave me three wrapped boxes, each with an xmas tree ornament, one with a log cabin, the next a ski gondola and the last a little billboard with "Fresh Powder" painted on it. I didnt know what the heck it was until she handed me a card with a printed sheet of the intinerary in it. She knew I have been chomping at the bit to get back west, so her effort and thoughtfulness is more than enough to keep me grinning for a long while, good snow or bad, but I am hoping for at least some good. :biggthump

Keep the fingers crossed for snow. I will check into the tix.

Later

Leaving Monday but I am contemplating whether to even bring a carving board and if so so I take a Slalom 162 of my 177 for big open stuff. I may just take my free style b oard and go exploring.

I wont be able to go to GT.

I am only riding two full days and a one morning. Is it worth packing extra gear?

Need some quick feed back as I am as I type.

i was the village yesterday and conditions are soft. we got seven inches overnight. all my carving boards are 163cm and smaller due to the steepness of runs. off trail should be a lot better today. you could always bring your carve board and rent a freestyle if you dont want to be loaded down. today i am going to take out my burton fish for the first time. i will report updated conditions later tonight.

the conditions at the village are pretty soft under mostly cloudy skies. visibility has been a challenge the last few days. they are making snow and sometimes the entire valley is fogged in. took my burton fish into the woods today and took a big chunk out of the base. lots of powder left (and rocks) if you are feeling lucky. all the main runs at the village are pretty big. a few are narrow but on a 163cm board you shouldnt have a problem. no lift lines, ya hoo! i got the nickname "caspercarver" because i make runs all day on "liftline" under the casper chair. that is where you can find me. red jacket/white pants. are you staying at the village or town? if your at the village "mangy moose" is the bar, if in town try the "snake river brewing co." on 265 s. millward, they make thier own and it's strong! cheers.

Thanks for the input. I will be in a light brown jacket, full face salomon helmet and dark aqua green or brown pants. I will be the one hooting an hollering because I am not riding in PA.

I am staying at the Wort Hotel where the silver dollar bar is. First night, just yucking my way around town, may go catch a flick. I never get to see movies at theatre. Wanna see I am Legend.

Jeff

Thanks for the great couple days of riding. it was a blast. Hope I cant get back out there this season. I gave me the west coast fever again. I wont bring the carving board though. Deifnitely the o-sin 4807 and a freeride board. I will be heading to the steeps and trees once more cover is there. I could have used that fish yesterday. a bit deep and blind. too much for the pogo. I was beat anyway from tuesday and wednesday.

Only thing that could have made the trip better was more blue skies and my trip home was from hell. Had to stay over in chicago, almost slept in the airport.

I will let you know if I am heading back out.

Casper rocks for carving and showing off under the chair.

Greg

I will be riding Kelly Canyon near Idaho Falls everyday till the New Year. Pretty fun carving hill. Not a lot of Vert but some of the most fun carving runs I have ever ridden. Groomed gullies and lots of rollers and wavy terain. Very fun carving!

Does that include tomorrow (Dec 26)? It's my last day off for awhile, was going to head to Targhee.... Maybe I should do a little extra driving? I've never been to Kelly Canyon.

Yeah, I ended up at the Ghee - 5th day in a row :p and my legs had all the strength of soggy Kleenex, so I just couldn't get psyched for the extra drive knowing I was only up for a short day...

Will you be back to Kelly Canyon anytime in January? I'm thinking a non-holiday weekday might be good there.

• 3 weeks later...

I rode Snow King yesterday and had a great time. The snow was perfectly groomed and stayed in great carving condition all day. I had never ridden there and it was quite fun. The snow on the upper slopes was a little hard and chunky.

I do not think any of the lifties or patrollers had seen a carver before. Seemed like back in the day..."What is that thing?" "Monoski?"

Fun times!

Thanks for coming over to Kelly and riding with me. I hope you had a safe and uneventful trip back over the pass. It was a pleasure to get to ride with you!!! Keep up the great carving work!!

Dredman, what a great day! Thanks so much for showing me around your great hill, introducing me to your family and friends there, plus sharing your riding expertise and stoke! Just a perfect day! Trip home was wintery but uneventful. I went the slightly longer way through Alpine Canyon - even in winter I need my rivers. Magical light in the canyon as the sky cleared a little just at sunset!

Hope you had a super day at the Ghee today. I look forward to tripping over your ruts again sometime soon!