Note to New Members ×

Rocky Mountain areas, Get Ready!!!

AaronG

Here in SoCal we have been experiencing non-stop rain with more to follow, this storm is huge and it is heading right for the Rocky Mtn states. Batten down the hatches, bring out the powder boards and go have some fun.

I was supposed to be riding today but the storm is coming in from the south making it a bit warm for snowflakes but by the time it gets to NM, CO and UT it should be nice and cold with lots of moisture still left in the clouds. I'm not sure if it will make it as far north as WY, MT or ID but it appears that there is another large storm coming down from the north. This PNW storm should be dumping major snow as soon as it hits the higher elevations. Hope and pray for a good dumping, one that shuts down airports!!!

My local resort was open with limited runs from snowmaking efforts but with this storm I would think it will wash away what coverage they had.

It came to us first ! Opened all the bowls at MHM and the next bigger storm hits sat night . They are putting up a hurricane warning for the coast with sustained 90-100mph winds expected (not gusts). We are getting snow in the city tomorrow and 1000ft snow levels on sunday. This means it will come in light and fluffy not like cement! Unfortunately behind this is a series of warm and wet ones .....

Jim

It came to us first ! Opened all the bowls at MHM and the next bigger storm hits sat night . They are putting up a hurricane warning for the coast with sustained 90-100mph winds expected (not gusts). We are getting snow in the city tomorrow and 1000ft snow levels on sunday. This means it will come in light and fluffy not like cement! Unfortunately behind this is a series of warm and wet ones .....

Jim

And it was GOOD!!!

Deep and light, bit scary wondering what you might hit. Great day, wish you could have been there Jim, they did not open Shooting Star until 12:30. Got a couple more untracked there too!! Good first day!!!

Plucked from weather.com severe storm section

Heavy snow is developing across the Rockies of southern Utah, Colorado and northern Mexico and will continue Saturday. Portions of the southern Colorado Rockies could see between 3 and 5 feet of snow. Strong winds could cause blizzard conditions.

this storm is gonna make it to nh sun night into tues

Friday and Saturday is posted "Blizzard" conditions at Wolf Creek CO. I don't see this making as much for Angel Fire but they have a couple weeks before opening anyways. Durango, Telluride, Monarch, Crested, Wolfie should all get a good dump to help their openings! :biggthump

Actually Durango is just opening on Dec 1st (tomm/Sat)...so they will open in blizzard conditions according to weather.com. Gotta like that!

This front is quite strange though as it was actually colder earlier today than it is right now here in ABQ. I think southern CO is going to be the benfeciary of most of this storm but we'll take whatever we can get here in NM!!

I told ya!! It rained in SoCal pretty much all day long and all night also. It is starting to clear now but the winds are howling and the temps are dropping. It is a shame that our local hill didn't receive any snowfall from this storm, only rain. The added benefit now is with the winds blowing, the humidity levels are low and the local resorts can make huge amounts of snow.

The downside to all this rain is that the quickest route to my local hill is now washed out. We had some serious fires here in So Cal during the fall and now with all the hills denuded of vegetation the boulders are free to fall from their overhanging perches. My sheriff officer friend called me and said that boulders the size of small cars are scattered all over the highway. Now, I will have to drive 1 hr 15 min to get to the hill instead of my normal 50 minutes

The east cost should be riding that wave too, it looks like we are getting the rest of that colorado strom ! Thanks for leaving some for the ice coast !

"A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM DEVELOPPING OVER COLORADO WILL MOVE TOWARD THE GREAT LAKES SUNDAY TO LIE JUST SOUTH OF OUR REGIONS MONDAY. THIS LARGE SYSTEM WILL BRING GREAT AMOUNT OF SNOW OVER SOUTHWESTERN QUEBEC AS OF SUNDAY AFTERNOON OR EVENING. THE SNOW WILL CONTINUE TO FALL DURING MOST OF THE DAY MONDAY, WHICH CAN COMPLICATE TRAVELS ON MONDAY MORNING. THE SNOW SHOULD BE MIXED AT TIME WITH ICE PELLETS OVER THE REGIONS ALONG THE ONTARIO-USA BORDER. ACCORDING TO OUR LATEST ANALYSYS, ABOUT 30 CM OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED THROUGH MONDAY EVENING IN SEVERAL REGIONS OF SOUTHWESTERN QUEBEC, ESPECIALLY FOR THE GREATER MONTREAL AREA. FURTHER EAST, BRISK AND COLD NORTHWESTERLIES PERSIST OVER GASPESIE NORTHERN COAST, CAUSING SNOWSQUALLS. THE CONDITIONS WILL IMPROVE GRADUALLY OVERNIGHT.

"

Just got back from Crested Butte. They have white out conditions. Lots of powder. About 4" on my car that was there from 11 to 3 and it was still coming down. Lots of pow! Only problem was the lift from the base was down until about 1 and there was a 25 min lift line. Good thing was that it was free. Before that you had to hike to everything. Should be very nice tomorrow morning. Wish I could go back.

Don't know about the hotels as I live 1.75 hours away. I bet that there are rooms in Gunnison though. It was pretty crowded at the mountain but I bet there are still rooms available. With only 1 lift at the base I would think that it was more crowded than usual but not as many people as in peak season.

Since it's the first significant snowfall of the season, conditions still SUCK.

I rode today for a few hours. 2 runs open with THOUSANDS of GAPERS. 2 people out of the group I was riding with got nailed by the same idiot on different runs. (No major damage done, luckily...)

Give it a few more storms and it might be worth it......