Note to New Members ×

I'm envious

BadBrad

Okay, I figured out how to update my profile. Now you all can see that I'm an old dude with mostly old equipment.

I'm located in Maryland between Baltimore and DC, so the "local" ski areas are Whitetail, Liberty, and Roundtop. With only 800 ft. vertical and weekend crowds I don't even have fun there unless I can get a day off mid-week when it isn't so crowded. As a result I only ride a few local days per year, and if I'm lucky I might do a week-long trip out west. So with just these few days a year I haven't managed to become a really good carver, but on moderate groomed slopes I do okay.

I'm currently signed up for a trip to Snowmass with the local ski club in February, which happens to coincide with the SES week. However, we are adopting a boy and will probably get him around January or February, so I probably won't be able to make the ski trip.

Brad

Welcome to Bomber! Do you ever come up to WV? If you make it to Timberline drop me a line and we'll try to get some runs in. There's usually 3-5 hardbooters there most weekends. I'm there just about every weekend patrolling. Also watch for information on MAC Tracks 08 here on Bomber. Its a pretty cool gathering for the Mid Atlantic area.

I've never been to a NC ski resort. It would be a day's drive for me, about the same as going to VT.

I have been to Snowshoe, but it has been some years ago. I remember the first time I went I really liked it. Then the next time I went I had gotten better and I felt that there wasn't much challenging terrain.

I'm not familiar with Timberline, though.

In PA I have been to Roundtop, Lilberty, and Whitetail, which are each about 90 minutes from me. I have also been to 7 Springs. I've also been to a few places in the Poconos. One was Camelback, I don't remember the names of the others.

In VT I have only been to Killington. Always had a good time there and I like the local restaurants. I'm considering a trip to Sugarbush in early January if my local conditions are not good.

That 800' hill looks really great except for the lack of snow, we've got hills half that size around here (southern WI). I think you need to really work on that day off during the week thing tho... At Alpine Valley you can loop the same run 50 times in about 3 1/2 hours, just think of that!

Here's a couple of shots of my first two days (one has been posted B4).

post-3210-141842242737_thumb.jpg

post-3210-141842242738_thumb.jpg

Those 3 runs in the photo at the top are actually pretty decent carving runs for me -- intermediate groomers, especially in the morning before they get chopped up. I like the one on the right -- it has a couple of bends and changes in pitch that make it interesting.They have pretty good snowmaking capability there, we just need some consistent colder temperatures.

Whitetail is a good venue when considering it's location 1 -1 1/2 hrs from D.C. and the fact that it's largely South facing. I'm always astonished and grateful that investors hopes spring eternal in the face of historically poor revenue and climate projections. The backside of the hill is completely undeveloped and to my untrained eye, has great potential. I've long since overcome the early season frustration that comes with living in this area. Every year in mid-october I buy a $200 plane ticket non-stop to Denver and a Loveland 4 pack for $100 and this provides the foundation for a cost effective early season trip. Always in the first few weeks of December because my job makes me use or lose time by e.o.y. Conditions in CO not always ideal by then but way better than anything close to here and......I'M RIDING, so who cares.

The problem with the south-facing slopes is that they melt a lot more quickly. They are nice when the weather is really cold, but they have a harder time maintaining decent conditions than, for example, Roundtop, where the slopes face north.

Your early season CO trip sounds like a great idea and a good deal. I guess you have to add rental car and lodging to the price too, though. Our local ski club used to do an early-December trip to Killington, but after a few years of nearly no snow they quit doing that.

I found that a lot of resorts have specials for Sun-Thurs, so I was thinking that I could drive to VT on Sun, ride on Mon-Tues or Mon-Wed when there are not weekend crowds, and then drive home the next day. If the conditions are okay locally, though, it might be better to just go to the local slopes instead of spending 2 days of driving and 3 days lodging cost for 2 days of riding.