Note to New Members ×

WTB carver for lightweight rider

dshack

Post three in my spastic (but educational) search to upgrade my quiver.

The advice I got when I asked about an AM board as a replacement for my burton ultra prime made me realize that I'm actually looking for two boards: a powder-day, all-mountain, reasonably carve-capable board, and a damp (-er than my UP) carver for inconsistent snow. This post is about the latter. I've got a budget that should buy a used prior, coiler, madd, etc., but that's not enough for a new one.

Calling out for a damp carver with a 10m+ SCR, a waist under 23cm, and fairly soft (I'm 125lb, or maybe 130 since turkey day). Possibilities, as far as I can tell:

Axis on the shorter end

164-169cm 4wd

WCR or metal (<173cm)

Coiler (anything built for a <150lb rider)

Oxygen proton on the shorter end?

Madd (Anything flex 1, I think. Pretty sure flex 2 would be too stiff)

Nidecker proton, escape, etc. in the 160's.

Thanks to Thor, Chris, Mike T, Bryan, and all the guys putting up with my indecision. Hope to ride with y'all in the future.

Since you're now looking for a dedicated carver and have size 23 shells, I might recommend going 19 on the waist, tops. A Madd 170 in F1 would be the ticket for you IMHO. Perhaps email Madd Mike (user Madd1 here on BOL) and see if he has any demoes left?

My wife, same size shells as yours, rides her 17.5 waisted Lui Holzinger SL deck with 53/53 angles and her 17.8 waisted Coiler FC with 51/51 so you can go pretty narrow and still use friendly angles.

The Madd 170 is 18 cm, you should be able to go 50 on the backfoot, or even less while you get to the point where overhang matters.

A Volkl RT 168 would probably work well for you too. 10.9 SC.

Hey dshack,

This 167 Prior Metal on the Prior site might be your ticket. It is a custom and only $605 US. Give them a call to check on the stiffness if your budget will allow.

I have a Madd 170-F2 that you can try if you will be around Bachelor from Dec 7-14. If there is enough snow. It is probably for sale. I do not find the Madd F2 flex too stiff, but I would not call it damp either.

Buell

Might either of these be appropriate?

Oxygen Proton 160SL

05/06 Model

20.5 waist

9m sidecut

$250.00 shipped

Oxygen Proton 164GS

06/07 Model

19.5 waist

13m sidecut

$250.00 shipped

It's not that I may not buy (and love) the metal if I need to, it's the fact that for $600, I could grab a race stick and an all-mountain, or a board and a pair of Cateks...

IMHO stay away from the 160 SL. Most manufacturer's 160+ SL decks are for bigger folks.

The GS 164 could be a a good one for you. I've never ridden a proton myself, but it's their smallest GS deck which is probably what you're looking for.

13 is not a big sidecut in the grand scheme of things but it can feel that way until you get the hang of things. Compared to your UP, the experience on the 13 sidecut would most likely go something like "wow, I need to get going kinda fast to get it to turn hard, and I feel like I'm getting lower when I do make it turn". I know the Protons have a reputation for being damper boards. I just went downstairs and eyeballed my wife's boots on my 19.5 waisted Prior, looks like 40 - 45 degrees.

This could work for you if you're into the 13m sidecut. That should work well at Meadows.