Note to New Members ×

Stroke at 21 years old

bjvircks

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, here we all are... almost 16 months after Joe's stroke. Three weeks ago Joe was my best man. What a great young man he has grown into! Here are some photos. The girl is Jamie, Joe's girlfriend. She was with him when the stroke hit, and has been such a blessing to us all, then and now.

Life is good !

That's great!

• 8 months later...

2nd anniversary of my son Joe surviving! :1luvu:

On Saturday 11-10-07 Joe had the stroke that almost took him.

Now it is difficult to tell that there is anything different (aside from the 'racing stripe' on his scalp). His last quarter of school he pulled a 4.0 in his Mech Engrg classes. This past summer he got one of the few paying internships from the school of engineering... with the Air Force Research Labs in Albuquerque, NM. Blowing stuff up with high powered lasers.

I am SO grateful.

Thanks to all for the kind words and thoughts. It is so enlightening to hear that so many of us have been touched by similar events. The support from others has made the journey so much easier!

Recently my daughter (age 19) had some scans performed to determine if she had any AVMs lurking in HER skull. The results are negative and so we are all more relaxed.

Ps,let me know if you're going to make it out here again this season.Lookout opens Friday!
Regrets, Steve... not going to be able to make it out to the panhandle over the 2 week holiday shutdown. However, the better half & I will be at Whitefish the last week of Jan. for BMES! Wanted to do SES '10 but just wouldn't work out. Dawn, the new and improved WIFE 2.0 wants to try hardbooting this year. She's been riding for 15 years. She does point the nose downhill but never lets the edge hook up. I figure to get her started here in Iowa. This would be a good thread... teaching spouse/GF!

My budget might not support a second trip to SES this year(although I'm trying)so I am thinking the BigFish would be a good consolation.

My budget is tight because I have started doing triathlons and I'm signed up for Ironman Coeur D' Alene in June!I've done two Half Ironman events this year. My sadistic wife is actually in full support of this adventure! My two boys are chomping at the bit to do the kids' events after watching me.Triathlon is turning out to be a very family friendly sport.I'm only half joking when I say my boys 'run like Forest and ride like Lance' :)

Their energy and lust for life is just amazing.Nathan turns 4 this weekend and Evan turns 6 next weekend.Being a dad is the coolest! I know you feel the same.

ps; if Dawn needs equipment I'm your man.I'll let you know soon if my plans solidify and I can bring what she needs to the Fish.

2nd anniversary of my son Joe surviving! :1luvu:

On Saturday 11-10-07 Joe had the stroke that almost took him.

Now it is difficult to tell that there is anything different (aside from the 'racing stripe' on his scalp). His last quarter of school he pulled a 4.0 in his Mech Engrg classes. This past summer he got one of the few paying internships from the school of engineering... with the Air Force Research Labs in Albuquerque, NM. Blowing stuff up with high powered lasers.

I am SO grateful.

Outstanding. Thanks for the update.