Note to New Members ×

beefy knee braces

Guest maz

Most people in the off-road scene that wear them have either the astrisk cells or Cti's. The pods are getting good reviews though. Both the Asterisks and the pods go for $600 a pair.

http://www.motosport.com/offroad/productDetail.php?prodId=385727&nav=&sMMY=

The general consensus in dirt bikes is; don't wear one unless you have to (told by doctor). I don't know if this holds for other sports, but it may be worth looking into by talking to an orthopod or sports medicine doc. They think wearing them may contribute to knee weakness........

Being 35 and not have bad knees (knock on wood), I would think a little preventative medicine may be good....... But I trust the docs, I guess.

For me the weakness arguement has never been a valid one as prevention is paramount to the greater possibility of serious injury without protection.I perform plenty of other exercises and movements that help me gain and maintain knee strength.Now, I'm off to instruct an early morning spin class...

For me the weakness arguement has never been a valid one as prevention is paramount to the greater possibility of serious injury without protection.I perform plenty of other exercises and movements that help me gain and maintain knee strength.Now, I'm off to instruct an early morning spin class...

The more I think about it, the more I don't know.......

I think the argument is that they really DON"T prevent....... They only offer support for a knee that is not as strong as a healthy one. If you are going to hurt your healthy knee in a crash, you will, whether you wear one or not.

The orthopods I know only perscribe them after surgery, once up to speed, the brace goes away, unless it is not fully stable.....

The other thing they do no like is the energy transfer from the brace possibly causing a femur break instead of a blown knee.

OK. I am NOT saying don't get braces! Just ask a round and do a little research first.

On the brace side of things. Dirt rider did a review acouple of months ago of over the counter braces. Some are not even braces, just "guards" at best. I will see if I can dig it up. I tried searching for it on line and didn't find anything.

The more I think about it, the more I don't know.......

I think the argument is that they really DON"T prevent....... They only offer support for a knee that is not as strong as a healthy one. If you are going to hurt your healthy knee in a crash, you will, whether you wear one or not.

The orthopods I know only perscribe them after surgery, once up to speed, the brace goes away, unless it is not fully stable.....

I probably should have been more clear on what I actually use.I don't use the fully supportive ones people are talking about here.Mine are basic with plastic ribs and padded.If a knee is especially tired I may double up by pulling a thick padded one over a thinner one.They provide some protection from impact on hard snow or when kneeling down during a lesson as well.I like the warmth and support they provide.They don't make my knees weaker but leave them less tired at the end of a full day on the hill.I've had people tell me even these will make me weaker.They can tell me all they want that I should strengthen them and not use the braces,but again they work for me.Yet another personal choice.My apologies for butting in on a thread that didn't really apply to me.

The argument against using them prophylactically is this: Long term use of an unneeded brace of any type can lead to weakness in the area as the body adapts to less stress on the joint. We always encourage people to wean themselves of the brace as soon as they are stable.

Search kinesio taping for active support options.

caveat , the neoprene sleeves aren't necessarily supportive enough to cause this phenomonen

I probably should have been more clear on what I actually use.I don't use the fully supportive ones people are talking about here.Mine are basic with plastic ribs and padded.If a knee is especially tired I may double up by pulling a thick padded one over a thinner one.They provide some protection from impact on hard snow or when kneeling down during a lesson as well.I like the warmth and support they provide.They don't make my knees weaker but leave them less tired at the end of a full day on the hill.I've had people tell me even these will make me weaker.They can tell me all they want that I should strengthen them and not use the braces,but again they work for me.Yet another personal choice.My apologies for butting in on a thread that didn't really apply to me.
On that note, I have recently been using CW-X long underwear and I REALLY like them for *slightly* supporting your joints and your muscles for reduced fatigue. I emphasize the slightly because they are in NO WAY a replacement for an actual brace (I have, but no longer use a DonJoy brace for my partially torn ACL). However, I have found them superior to the type of support your would get from a neoprene sleeve.

The stuff is pricey, but I think it's worth it. I bought a pair of CW-X bike shorts and shirt at steepandcheap.com (part of backcountryoutlet.com) for like 50% off before my bicycling trip across Italy and liked them so much I recently bought a pair of stabilyx long underwear for FULL price (I can count the number of times I have paid full price for gear in the last 2 years one a single hand).