Note to New Members ×

Videoconferencing

Blue Bird

Does anyone know much about this? I am currently talking with a potential international client and videoconferencing has come up as a communication possibility for the project.

I have read what Wikipedia says about it. My ignorance of technology still hasn't developed the answers to my questions that would need to be answered to see if this is a viable option.

my immediate questions are

1. what is the cost
  2. what type of connection is needed on each end
  3. what equipment is needed
  4. is it a good fit for the intention or is this getting to complex
  5. can this be done with a cell phone to give a tour of the house
  6. what other information, besides seeing a face at the other end, is VC good for
  7. is there something else that we should be looking at
  8. is a web based conference call system better or more reliable

I work for a custom home builder and the potential client is in Belgium. Our typical M.O. is to have a weekly conference call with each client and have the client visit the site at least once per month to see progress and work out details. We also send out weekly progress photos.

The monthly visit will not be possible with this client and we are looking at the possibilities so the client can stay on top of the project

Many Thanks for any info you may have

For what you are describing, why don't you just shoot a simple digital video of the house each week (day/hour, whatever) and post it on youtube or google video for them to view. Then if you want to do a video call, just do it on skype for free (assuming you both have cameras attached to your computers). If there's wifi at the house, you could do the con call from the house. I'm not sure if Verizon's EVDO laptop cards allow skype, but you could probably work out some sort of video call with one of those w/out spending too much money.