Note to New Members ×

Waxing & Edge Burn

twelsch42

I'm getting noticable edge burn after just one day of easy carving. This is after riding on mostly manmade snow. Even after using some hard powder wax on my edges before a medium-hard wax on my whole base. I'm also fairly confident my iorn is hot enough, if anything approaching too hot.

Should I be using different wax for sun-baked manmade snow? Do I need a good base structure so my wax will penetrate better?

Anything else I'm missing here?

I figured with the x-cold powder on my edges that I could atleast go 2 days without waxing considering how I'm just learning.

Thanks

twelsch

How many times has your board been hot waxed?

I had to hot wax my Donek 7 times after EVERY ride before I could go a couple of rides without edge burn. Now it has been hot boxed, so it is no longer an issue.

Also, do not strip (no wax remover) the wax off your board, if you are, just put the new wax right over the old. The snow does a good job of getting rid of it for us.

I put in eight hour days 5-6 days a week. I have tried as many waxing ideas as I know and have been advised. What I have found is that at my size, hard carving on man made snow for 8 hours means waxing every day. There are some man made conditions that will burn your base near the edges in a few runs. I have just learned to live with it.

I try to ride different boards and wax the other ones on their days off.

BTW, if you do a search on base burn, you will get all of the info from when this topic has been touched on in the past.