Note to New Members ×

Newbie seeks your advice on boards.

John Bell

Thanks, Bob--and BlueB, Jtslalom, Hans, and everyone who spoke up before. This is a very helpful group.

I probably will hold off a bit. It's just tempting to buy something now, at the start of the season--and my current board (a twin-tip) is completely not what I need. (I bought it 'cause it was on sale at Sports Authority.) I'd been leaning toward a Never Summer Titan or an Arbor A-Frame--and then after I learned of Tankers, I started thinking, "Why not get some beast of a carving board?" But what I got'll do for now.

At some point I'll have to hit Stratton. Despite living in VT for over a year (including a winter working at Killington), I've never been. I'll definitely visit Starting Gate.

Let's hope for a long, snowy winter!

I'd been leaning toward a Never Summer Titan or an Arbor A-Frame--and then after I learned of Tankers.....

Looks like you were leaning well, and your board may be fine. It is true that any snowboard should carve if the rider can carve, but some snowboards are much easier to carve on than others since factors built into the board will be a large factor in determining what carve it makes. Too short of a small radius, overly soft twin tip will likely be quite annoying to carve on. It will easily twist off and wash out with any speed and it will want to make the tightest little carves.

A higher quality board with a bit larger sidecut and a bit more stiffness (torsional and longitudinal) can go a long way toward a board actually being an enjoyable carver.

with the olympic core if he wants anything less than 500 you are getting a deal unless it's beat up, the thing is that you'll be seeing metal rides in that price range used at the end of this season and they are WAY BETTER if you make the alpine jump