Note to New Members ×

need advice, possibly switching to a soft setup

Guest AllMountain

Guest AllMountain

ordered the tanker from RJ and carbon 900 from bobdea.

still mulling over priorATV vs maddBX. i combed thru old posts here, and there really seems to be a consensus that the madd requires a lot of effort, not an everyday board. but it sounds like great fun, and superior in bad conditions.

i've been able try on a few boots. driver X and F24 are too "high volume" for my feet. 2008 ion in size 11.5 fits very snugly with no hot-spots. will get those if nothing else turns up.

Guest AllMountain

well, i'm about done with my pre-season acquisitions.

i really appreciate everyone's help. my wallet's a bit lighter, but i'm really optimistic about my new gear.

i ended up with: tanker 177 + nidecker carbon 900's + burton ions, as well as a madd BX 168, to be used with my head stratos pros and bomber TD2's. everything's been ordered, except the ions, which i plan to pick up locally tomorrow.

my next project will be to soften up my hard boots and bindings.

Guest AllMountain
go down half size on ions.... as they dooo pack out pretty good, even after heat molding

thanks. i bought a pair of 11.5's (i wear 12 to 13 street shoes). they're very snug all around. the only uncomfortable spots are the ends of the big toes.

the boot fitter at the shop where i bought them recommended i let them pack out naturally, rather than heat mold them. i plan to wear them around the house for a few days.

Guest AllMountain
sounds like they wanted to get you out of there

a good fitter would of molded them just make you happy with them

he did say he would happily heat mold them for me, any time i wanted, but his recommendation was that they would be more snug long-term if packed out naturally, rather than being heat molded. do you think that was bad advice?

no, but it could be worth a couple days of hotspots.

Also, when your boot packs out with the moldable liners that are in these boots your best option is to re-mold because it will give a little volume back. with the burton liners the spots where they really got mushed don't really come back out though,