Note to New Members ×

how to store boards

CarvCanada

Guest Randy S.

Dude,

Its only March. We've got 3 full months of riding left before the season ends. My cabin in Tahoe has so much snow that its up to the 2nd story windows in back. Crazy. We'll be riding in June if they keep the lifts open.

I just use any old wax in my tuning kit for storage wax. Put a coat on and scrape (and then hotscrape) it in the fall. I'm not sure trying to keep camber in it is possible, but if you want to try, put it upside down with something supporting tip and tail. Oh, and its probably a good idea to loosen or remove your bindings. Just write down the settings you had so you'll remember in the fall.

Originally posted by Randy S.

... We've got 3 full months of riding left before the season ends. ...

I wish! The local bumps are having their spring pond jumping contest this weekend and with the weather we've been having, they'll probably be closed by the time I get back from ECES... Man, I gotta move!

yah, i got me a clean classic tib-fib and i have a metal rod in my leg right now

i was at a really small mountain with thin trails which i had to go to with a group. i wouldn't have taken my 186GS if my freecarve 171 had arrived, but i had to since i would not resort to taking out my softies. after 10 times on the 186 i once brought out my softies on a powder day and it litteraly felt like a lunch tray, so i couldn't take that to the small mountain.

was doing fast cross under turns on the widest groomer they had with the GS and approached quickly an area where the chairlift above came low enough to hit me! i bailed and lost control... it actually wasn't so bad, notmuch pain

my 171 came the day later. HA! oh well

Originally posted by CarvCanada

What's the best way to store a board for the off-season? Do you use regular wax as the last coating, or some thick one that you scrape later? What's best method of support to keep camber etc. Thanks!

I would doubt any wood core alpine board could loose its camber simply by sitting around or laying around flat or upright. In fact I bet ya you can lay it FLAT ON A FLOOR WITH BOOKS ON TOP of it and it will be the same camber come December 2005. Wood is not a fluid material:rolleyes:

From freecarve.com, written by PSR:

At the end of the season(ours in the Northeast is almost done),I put my boards on a camber rack for the summer.This helps boards hold their shape,both in terms of camber,and in terms of twist.It's fairly easy to make,using 2x6's,and 1" wood dowels,roughly 1' long.Each 2x6 gets five dowel rods,one at the center(centered in regards to length and width,draw a lengthwise centerline for reference),and two each at the ends.I cut the length of the 2x6 so that it's +or- 6" longer than the boards that'll be mounted on it.The dowels at the tip and tail of the board are placed 2" inboard of the nose/tail curvature.Space the end dowels so that there's a gap of 1/2" between them(3/4" from centerline of the 2x6 to the center of the dowel holes),and that one dowel is directly above the other,with regards to the centerline.The dowel placement should look a little like this, : . : but with the center dowel up to the true midpoint of the 2x6.Small shims can be used to cure any gaps(Asyms are a challenge!),or to set the right camber for a given board,And paint-stirring sticks are ideal here.Set your boards base-to-base on the rack,matching lengths whenever possible(try to stay within 10cm of difference between any two boards on a rack),and shim only enough to keep the current camber,as a thick shim can actually stretch a board's camber over the summer.Store your boards in a dry,tempature-stable area,away from direct sunlight(most garages are o.k.).Don't forget to wax them before storing,and be sure to cover the edges with extra wax to keep rust at bay.I hope this helps the more serious riders keep the quiver in shape during the off season.Gotta run now,as my boards(15 of 'em,Oy) are due to be put up for the season.Ah,the smell of wax...

Guest apocalypsem3

Skully:

Is it possible to post a picture of your "device" or send me a picture? (dhl28@cornell.edu) I would like to see how it looks because I don't quite picture it from your description. Thank you.

Actually, that post was originally written by Pre School Rider, and posted on Freecarve.com.

You could look him up on the members list and shoot him an e-mail and see if he could send you a photo, or post one here.

I haven't seen too many posts from him lately.