Note to New Members ×

beginner advice

Guest jeffnstefanie

Guest jeffnstefanie

OK here is the next beginner question,

I was on my new carving board for the fifth day and I was having about the same luck as the other four. I was kind of carving on the toe edge and washing out on the heal edge. Not feeling the love if you know what I mean.

The other days were all about the same, I would try for a better part of the day and beat my self up. Then I would go home and read what I could about the "NORM" and the "EURO" and try to remember all the things I had read. Face forward, Face sideways.

Arms in, Shoulders level knees, Head up.

I had talked to a guy that said that he had ridden carving boards for ten years and he gave me some tips and the one that I had never heard was to initiate the turn with my ankles. That I should be pushing my ankles into the boot on the side of the board in the direction I wanted to turn.

I tried that and it was a miracle, if I started to feel the board wash out I would concentrate on my ankles and the board would snap into a carve. For the first time I was able to link turns.

So my question is this, Was this good advice ? is this a Carving secret that is passed on only after the bruises are visible ?

Guest Mike Ford

Advice you'll get from someone who's never seen you ride will be sketchy at best.

Best advise - take a lesson, it may not be the cool thing to do but it will help the most

Originally posted by Bob Jenney

Whenever someone has heel side problems there are several places to look at for basic set-up. Once the basic set-up has been established, then look at technique.

Bob, I dunno if you can see enough on the video that I posted on the other Heelside thread... got any stance suggestions for me?

5'10"

My jeans are 30" length

19" wide stance

66*f/63*r

2* toe lift on front

3* heel lift on rear w/ inward cant

Trouble is, what helps free up my hips in the living room often does not help while moving...

Any suggestions on what to try first?

Guest jeffnstefanie

How come there are no trees on your mountain ?

Bob, I tryed a more paralell stance but my feet are naturaly at about a 45 degree angle. so when I walk in the snow I make tracks that look this...

/ / / / / / /

\ \ \ \ \ \ \

Originally posted by Mike T

5'10"

My jeans are 30" length

19" wide stance

66*f/63*r

2* toe lift on front

3* heel lift on rear w/ inward cant

Trouble is, what helps free up my hips in the living room often does not help while moving...

Any suggestions on what to try first?

Lose the inward cant. Try straight heel lift on the back foot.

-Jack

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Lose the inward cant. Try straight heel lift on the back foot.

-Jack

And if this does not help (you still tuck your knees together while they should work separately in any turn) then set your rear binding flat - no cant or lift. Leave the front toe lift... and you will have setup like mine;)

It may work. It works for me.