Note to New Members ×

Side Edge/Base tuning devices

Guest willb13

Guest willb13

I am just getting started tuning my own gear -- also just getting started riding a carving set-up... I bought a Dakine tuning jkit with file, stone, scraper, etc. but have quickly realized that these materials are pretty inadequate.

I am looking for a device to tune my side and base edges. Burton makes an "all-in-one" type device that can adjust from 90-95.

I have also seen angle-specific pieces of metal that are used to tune the side edge. If I used this, how would I sharpen the base?

Any suggestions about what to get? thanks so much!

Guest Jagger

Willb Go to reliable racing site and look up "Ski visions" they make an edging tool called a "ski sharp" it's an all in one type edger that will do up to 3* side and 3* base simultaneously. I've had one since like 94/95 and swear by it. Also it is really compact the tool and all of the stones will fit in a plastic sandwich bag, you can tale it with you to the slopes.,

Mike

• 9 months later...
Originally posted by cmc

Ifd you want real tools go with svst.

I agree. I use SVST guides when I file my edges. They work great, and I get a nice even and sharp edge every time.

Check out www.artechski.com for some great gear and great deals ... sure it's oriented toward ski racing, but you'll find some cool stuff, and superb service.

Note: I can't get to the site at the moment, it may be down.

Guest Randy S.
Originally posted by Jagger

Willb Go to reliable racing site and look up "Ski visions" they make an edging tool called a "ski sharp" it's an all in one type edger that will do up to 3* side and 3* base simultaneously. I've had one since like 94/95 and swear by it. Also it is really compact the tool and all of the stones will fit in a plastic sandwich bag, you can tale it with you to the slopes.,

Mike

I use the same gizmo. Its great. I definitely ascribe to the KISS approach to tuning, and that fits.

Originally posted by Jagger

Willb Go to reliable racing site and look up "Ski visions" they make an edging tool called a "ski sharp" it's an all in one type edger that will do up to 3* side and 3* base simultaneously.

Can you set it up to do one or the other but not both if you want?

Also: how do you use base bevel guides like the svst Final Cut or swix Pro with a snowboard? I've seen several similar designs and they all use the opposite edge to track straight. Seems like you'd have to have a long file to reach the filed edge on a snowboard, and maybe it'd be hard to keep it true. Also, doesn't the file angle vary quite a bit with the sidecut?

ETA: the hell with all this hand-tool pussy-footin' around, through the magic of ebay you can get your very own stone grinder.

Originally posted by D-Sub

I think Im gonna buy the Rays Way stuff just to be the first from Bomber to use it

thing is, files remove a LOT of material that isnt always necessary

no?

Perhaps you could replace it with 200-400 grit diamond? (Like the tooltonic, link)

THanks to all for the responses so far. What do you currently use? Or are your boards currently exclusively shop-tuned?

DrCR

________

OK, bumping this thread in the hopes of getting my questions above answered. Also a couple of more questions (I know very little about tuning):

Bruce says his boards come with no base bevel and the edges at 89 degrees - that means a 1 degree side bevel, right? There seems no purpose in bevelling the side the other way, so that with no base bevel the edge is more than 90 degrees.

He recommends putting in a 1 degree base bevel. I always just filed mine flat and never found it too hooky. Do lots of you guys run bevel, or flat? I'm a little nervous about adding bevel myself. I'm even more nervous about trusting the local shops to do it.

Originally posted by Tommy D

I use SVST guides when I file my edges. They work great, and I get a nice even and sharp edge every time.

Check out www.artechski.com..

Artech looks like a good vendor, thanks! Looking into the SVST guides.

Base tuning. From: http://www.tooltonic.com/en/default.htm

guidelimesthumb5au.jpg

Wouldn't these base guides only work with skies? That seems to be the only base tuning equipment tooltonic sells. Are any other file guides different?

Any recommendations for base guides?

From Tognar

Although Tom Parks uses two wraps of masking tape around one end of an 8" mill file to set a 1 degree base bevel, he doesn't recommend it except for only the most experienced tuners...especially with the deep sidecuts on many skis these days. Instead, he advises using a base edge bevel guide (Beast tool or similar) to ensure accurate base bevel results...

Would anything other than the masking tape aproach work on a sidecut snowboard?

Pic's like this:

baseanglethumb2bw.gif

Are great conceptually but don't work too well when the width is variable.

FYI: I plan on filling to angle and using 200grit & 400grit diamond for regular maintenance.

Edit: Ah, here we are. A pics worth a thousand words.

http://www.svst.com/page8.html

basetool6wr.png

Thanks,

DrCR

________