Note to New Members ×

Tierney Boards for summer fun?

Terryw

I'm not saying not to get a T-board, but if you're looking for something that will flex back with camber kind of along the lines of a snowboard carving, then you might want to look into longboards. It might just be me, but one of the things that really makes alpine snowboard carving what it is has to do with the flexing and pop of the board while carving. I've never been on a T-board, but it looks pretty darn stiff and non-flexing.

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com/

that place has a ton of info (I'd say even more than BOL), which isn't necessarily a good thing.

you might also want to take a look at this thread. if you think a longboard might closer fit what kind of summer carving you're looking for.

isn't the bushing thing supposed to approximate the "pop" I think its engineered stiff in the deck with the idea that the bushings can be changed to adjust the pop from one weight rider to the next?? Am I wrong?

now that I have one how do I adjust the trucks? I understand one of them is supposed to be locked but both of mine feel like that and I can't flex them enough to turn even a little bit. Is it possible to have them screwed together to tight? the front one will flex if I reef on it but its really tight and wants to stay flexed after I get it to move it doesn't want to go back.

I got a Tierney last fall and was immediately smitten. I concur with previous comments regarding cost and wear of wheels etc. All negatives aside, the board's stability at speed and the similar to snowboarding body mechanics make it very worthwhile indeed. I too would prefer a longer deck with more feedback (2 less ply perhaps) - whatever - the guy at Tierney answers his phone/returns messages and stands behind his product. What more can you ask for.

now that I have one how do I adjust the trucks? I understand one of them is supposed to be locked but both of mine feel like that and I can't flex them enough to turn even a little bit. Is it possible to have them screwed together to tight? the front one will flex if I reef on it but its really tight and wants to stay flexed after I get it to move it doesn't want to go back.

i would go to x-boarding.com. there's a forum there for t-boards.

the older t-board trucks had elastomer torsion rings. don't know about the new ones. the older trucks appeared to be adjustable but when you tighten the front truck it would loosen up by the end of the run. my front truck would flex but not easily with the hand. it would also return to center.

yours might be too tight if it doesn't return to center.

I've been able to slow it down by carving but it will not work for a sudden stop. It takes some patience, confidence, and control but it's possible to slow it down from 30 mph. I've stopped it a few times sliding it perpendicular to my momentum. I can't remember, is that still called a shred?

Another negative with the T-board I forgot about, I have pinched the wheel against the board twice. It threw me over the top like if you folded the nose of your snowboard.