Note to New Members ×

Carving and Injuries

modifiede30

On the same day I tore my shoulder earlier inteh morning I was comming down Whirlaway at a fairly high rate of speed and carving very agressively in some dense snow and slush. I turned from a toeside into a heelside and next thing I know, I'm sideways slide and careening into the race fence on my back.

I sit up and look down and go OH *** WHERE IS MY LEG !? I realise the board is folded back behind me and my front foot is not attached to the board. A few other ski/ boarder instructors who were riding and gawking at me as I was showing off carving some seriously low turns saw all this, and came up behind me and all asked " OMG WTF WAS THAT ? !!!" I said I have no idea, but apparently I did 2 summersaults aswell as the side slide into the fence. One instructor found a part of my binding that came off my board, and said " What is this ?" I laughed and said OMG,.. thats totaly part of my binding..... Ya know how much force it takes to rip tha beast off ?.... like almost 6 G's worth of force! ..... AWESOME !"

SO I was perfectly OK, but now I'm upgrading to the high end model bomber trenchdiggers for next season

:1luvu:

"It ain't the years kid, it's the mileage...."

Indiana Jones

For me, it's easier to count the bones and muscles I haven't injured from hardbooting, rock climbing, ice climbing, alpine climbing, skateboarding, road cycling, and mountain biking... :nono:

Thank Goodness my wife is a yoga instructor, and my climbing partner is my physiotherapist.

George

Man... My life sucks... I snowboard, I golf and I work... At work I'm more apt to get carpal tunnel than anything else, golf isn't exactly a high risk sport and snowboarding... Well, I've cleaned my own clock a few times, but never serious enough to take me off the hill. That I'm glad for, but still, all I have is golf and snowboarding. And even now I don't have snowboarding anymore.....

Seems like hardbooting is the quest for high G forces. This requires relatively high speeds and high turning forces. It's great when all works well. However, when something goes wrong, these forces break boards & break bodies.

I ride a small SCR board (F2 SpeedCross) on the fairly narrow trails of our local hills and have had the same disconcerting thought pop into my head a number of times while riding this season: this if fun, but I'm spending a lot of time going fast in the direction of things that would be very unforgiving (i.e., trees) in the event of a failure......