Note to New Members ×

OT - Food Allergies & You

Erik J

Anybody out there have any food allergies? If so how do you handle this when you go out to eat. If I had a known food allergy I would tell my server and ask for some direction in ordering. Maybe that’s crazy talk – I don’t know.

So I’m working in a restaurant kitchen tonight and a woman orders 4 courses of food. We send out a complimentary “amuse bouche” (basically a plate with a large hors d’oeuvre). She has two more courses, then gets to her entrée, takes a few bites and calls the server over. “I forgot to tell you that I have a gluten allergy” – so she can’t have any wheat products. Her first and second course both contain small amounts of wheat flour. Her entrée is an herb and mustard breaded trout with a crepe on the plate (among other things).

<O:p

I am beside myself at the stupidity. WTF!!!???? I am speechless. She forgot to tell us she was allergic to gluten. How is this person still alive!?

This isn’t the first time this has happened. Months ago, a woman informs us halfway through her meal that she has a garlic allergy. She has already consumed garlic for one of her courses. She calls me later that evening to complain of feeling sick. I am as diplomatic as possible, I offer her a complimentary glass of wine and dessert if she joins us again for dinner. I explain to please alert her server in our restaurant and in other restaurants of her allergy in the future. While I’m speaking to her as sweetly and professionally as I can, in the back of my head there is a voice screaming in pain to find her and cover her in gasoline – and maybe I’ll pick up smoking while I’m at it. Just kidding……kind of.

So I'm wondering if I'm going to get the call tonight or tomorrow- "I'm really not feeling well". Hey, you know what, I know a great doctor who's office is at the bottom of the Hudson River. Maybe you should check him out.

If any of our guests have a food allergy we bend over backward to accommodate them, we make special sauces, side dishes, whole tasting menus based on their needs. If they call ahead, I will make them anything they want within reason. Those that inform us of their allergies come back time and again because we take care of them. We use separate pans and utensils for serving their food. Nothing that they can’t have comes in contact with their plates. We try very hard to do this. And then one single-cell-brained person comes in and may jeopardize my business by blabbing this to others or worse, the local paper. No matter how right I am, that type of publicity or word of mouth is irreversible.

About 2 months ago a gentleman is backing out of a driveway across the street from the restaurant. He backs his car into our stonewall that is 38” (I measured) from the side of the small back road that we are on. He threatens to sue us (he is a lawyer) because he feels the wall that has been there for over 200 years was too close to the road. OK this has nothing to do with food allergies, but

WHO THE F*%K ARE THESE PEOPLE?!!!

Sorry for taking up bandwidth with this drivel, I'm just shaking my head in disbelief.

Gluten intolerence (Celiac spru) isn't actually an allergy. Many people have no immediate symptoms, but the damage to the stomach can eventually led to serious problems. The touble with this disorder, is that it was misdiagnosed or dismissed as a european disease by US doctors until very recently. As a consequence many older people are only now discovering what has been wrong with them all thier lives. It is often hard for these people to deal with something that doesn't have immediate impact (like an allergy) and is as all pervasive as gluten. McDs is about the only place a celiac can eat fries out, as they have seperate fryers for battered foods. Some restuarants are very good (like your's) and try to be helpful, but you actually have to know what you are looking for in the ingredients list. That is something the Celiac person must do to be sure of being safe. Just asking a server or even the kitchen is not enough. The new labeling laws did Celiacs no favors really, as the law only required wheat to be clearly labeled. Gluten can come from other grains.

My daughter and wife have Celiac Spru. There is some facinating research into genetic links with autism (and mental illnesses). My son has Aspergers syndrome, high functioning autism. The latest figures suggest that 1 in 170 (I think) are Celiac in the US. Most are undiagnosed.

BobD

bobdea posted: "just say he was drunk"

unfortunately, in our state, he'd then have an even stronger, and no longer simply civil case, and could then sue the establishment for more, and also shut them down.

best to ignore this ilk, and simply refuse him service in the future.

...maybe embarrass him when he shows up with friends, and suggest that, pursuant to his questionable driving skills, he might take his business to an establishment situated on a thruway rest area....more his speed.;)

Gluten intolerence (Celiac spru) isn't actually an allergy. Many people have no immediate symptoms, but the damage to the stomach can eventually led to serious problems. The touble with this disorder, is that it was misdiagnosed or dismissed as a european disease by the US doctors until very recently. As a consequence many older people are only now discovering what has been wrong with them all thier lives. It is often hard for these people to deal with something that doesn't have immediate impact (like an allergy) and is as all pervasive as gluten. McDs is about the only place a celiac can eat fries out, as they have seperate fryers for battered foods. Some restuarants are very good (like your's) and try to be helpful, but you actually have to know what you are looking for in the ingredients list. That is something the Celiac person must do to be sure of being safe. Just asking a server or even the kitchen is not enough. The new labeling laws did Celiacs no favors really, as the law only required wheat to be clearly labeled. Gluten can come from other grains.

My daughter and wife have Celiac Spru. There is some facinating research into genetic links with autism (and mental illnesses). My son has Aspergers syndrome, high functioning autism. The latest figures sugest that 1 in 170 (I think) are Celiac in the US. Most are undiagnosed.

BobD

I've read figures suggesting an even higher ratio of undiagnosed celiac population, here. there is literature to suggest that innumerable, common chronic ailments are resultant of undiagnosed celiac conditions.

many modern americans simply didn't descend from grain-based cultures.

-jay

either tremendously irresponsible with their own health and well being or a crooked personality trying to extort a free meal.. you pour the gas, I'll toss the lit match...

I've been blessed with very good health and good tolerance to pretty much all foods. However, I was married for many years to a woman with multiple allergies to several common foods. (wheat, milk products, eggs, several others) I would say Tawnya was always very conscienteous (and polite, understanding) about working with the staff to make certain her needs were met. Often she could moderate her intake of certain items with tolerable results.

Now I find myself in a long term relationship with another woman who has similar food concerns but Dawn is more extreme in her sensitivities. Her problem with gluten is not to the degree of a celiac, luckily. Like Tawnya, Dawn is very consistent and gracious about asking the specifics of how foods are prepared.

Sometimes this gets tedious to me, a bystander in all of this. Every once in a while the slob in me says to myself " jees... just order whatever and be done with it!" but I realise that is just my impatience talking.

you asked about people who order the wrong foods and run into walls and blame others WHO THE F*%K ARE THESE PEOPLE?!!!

These are people who cannot or will not accept responsibility for themselves or their actions and choices. and the rest of us pay for them.

About 2 months ago a gentleman is backing out of a driveway across the street from the restaurant. He backs his car into our stonewall that is 38” (I measured) from the side of the small back road that we are on. He threatens to sue us (he is a lawyer) because he feels the wall that has been there for over 200 years was too close to the road. OK this has nothing to do with food allergies, but

WHO THE F*%K ARE THESE PEOPLE?!!!

Sorry for taking up bandwidth with this drivel, I'm just shaking my head in disbelief.

Erik.. My GF and I went to Benihana the other day - she has a dairy allergy and they were very accomodating - cooked hers first so there would be no cross contamination. But here is the reason I mainly replied.

Any chance this is the guy who is suing you.. ????

Accused Burglar Sues Homeowner Who Shot Him

The Milwaukee Journal ^ | 10/01/06

Posted on 10/01/2006 9:28:04 PM PDT by baldeagle390

MILWAUKEE -- A Janesville man who admitted breaking into a home is suing the homeowner who shot him.

Kurt Prochaska, 39, was on probation last fall when he admitted he broke in to a home and was shot by the homeowner, but that's not stopping him from going after cash through the courts.

Late last year, the Rainiero family awoke to find Prochaska in their home. Michael Rainiero, a doctor, ordered Prochaska to leave. He didn't and was shot in the back.

Nearly a year later, Rainiero's attorney said it's far from over because Prochaska is suing him from beind bars, saying the doctor didn't need to shoot him.

"What the doctor wants is this whole ordeal to be ended and done with," Rainiero's attorney said.

The Milwaukee County suit claims Rainiero used excessive force to deal with the intruding plaintiff and alleges severe and permanent injuries, relentless pain, and loss of earning capacity. The suit doesn't specify a damage amount.

Rainiero claims he shot Prochaska in self-defense.

"The doctor was asleep in his bed when an intruder came into his home and put his life, his wife's life, and his two kids' lives in jeopardy," Rainiero's lawyer said.

The lawyer added that Rainiero showed restraint, not excessive force, in dealing with Prochaska. Although, he had an entire magazine of bullets, Rainiero fired only once.

The Rock County district attorney agreed, long ago ruling the shooting was justified. Still, Prochaska is able to move ahead with the suit.

"Judges like to give everyone their day in court. No matter how absurd it might seem, this gentleman has a right to have a day in court. And so, my job is to make sure that that day in court is a very short day in court," Rainiero's attorney told 12 News reporter Nick Bohr.

A hearing on the suit is set for next month. Prochaska's attorney did not wish to comment on the case.

If the case is thrown out, Prochaska can be forced to pay up to $500 of the legal expenses.

:smashfrea:smashfrea

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Erik, I have a son with multiple allergies and on the rare occasion we do go out, it is usually to a location that we are familiar with and that has been hospitible. We have a card with our sons picture on it and it lists his allergies and possible things to be aware of like cross contamination. we never want to be a burden and always appreciate customer service. The people you were dealing with sound a little suspect. As was said, if it were a true life threatening allergy, natural selection will eventually run its course (I should know better than to make fun, food related accidental deaths do occur and I have seen it first hand). But for any body out there rolling their eyes at the paranoid food moms/dads, let me share a day in the life. We had our son in ski school that offers lunch. Whats for lunch? PBJ peanut butter), Hot dogs (possible dairy or eggs), Chicken strips (also possible eggs or dairy and unknown cross contamination in the fryer). No big deal as he has never reacted to airborne (odors/dust) but can he sit next to his new friend who is having PBJ? Will his friend wash his hands after lunch? Has the instructor or supervisor become familiar with the symptoms and will they give an epi-pen? As parents, we are extremely grateful to everyone who is aware and goes out of their way to make our son feel "normal". Most adults make it about the parent and not the kid. Our son had a great time in ski school. We made him his lunch and all of the staff were extremely accommodating. Hopefully he will grow out of his allergies, but if not, we want him to be prepared and aware of what can happen if he ingests the wrong foods. Erik, keep it up. for every one pain in the ass, there are many mor truly grateful diners who will remain loyal and appreciative.

Erik, email me if you are interested in more information from the Food Allergy Initiative. They have food allergy training available for restaurants. It sound like you are doing everything right but FAI may help if you are looking to CYA. Also, my wife relates a story from a food allergy message board from a person who owns a restaurant and also has food allergies. A customer came into her establishment and said she also had food allergies and special precautions were taken. WHen it came time for dessert menu and a choclate cake was offered, the customer was able to overlook her allergies "just this once". Truly allergic? I doubt it. But please dont let these examples keep you from practicing as you heve been. We all know there are people out there who want special treatment and may use food allergies as stated above. But people who are truly allergic will be alot more appreciative- you will know who they are.

I feel for anyone who has food allergies. I've been blessed with a cast-iron stomach, but I have quite a few friends who are allergic to varying degrees to different things. If you think that they're a pain to deal with, then spare a thought for how difficult their life is - can't cook this, can't eat that, can't go out very often and enjoy a nice meal because you don't know what's in it.

Although Erik does have a point. If you have a food allergy and you're not telling people who are cooking for you, then that's just irresponsible in the extreme. If they did get sick, you'd feel like ****, and that's completely avoidable and totally unfair to you...

I've got 2 interesting stories about food allergies. One I witnessed first hand as it unfolded, the other I read about.

My ex-wife has a plethora of food allergies. She has always used honey in her cooking with good results. Early in our marriage we bought some locally harvested honey from a roadside stand. Tawnya had about 1/2 teaspoonfull and her throat and mouth became inflamed. Then her windpipe started to close off a bit. We started to panic, but the symptoms subsided and no intervention was required. We figure that the bees were going to a field of some sort of plant(s) that Tawnya couldn't tolerate.

2nd tale... A group of ladies, longtime friends, gathered on a regular basis for a pot-luck. One of the ladies had food allergies, one of which could be life-threatening. The group as a whole was quite good about knowing and complying with her wishes to have any dishes that would be trouble "Flagged" beforehand so she could avoid them. One lady got the notion to teach 'the allergy lady' that her allergies were all in her head. She prepared a couple of dishes that could spell real trouble but did not 'flag' them or tell the allergy lady. As the ladies were gathering but before the meal began she quitely confided her plan to another lady. As I recall the plan was shut down before any harm could be done and the offending lady was harshly 'educated' and excluded from the group.