Note to New Members ×

Titanal Supplier

Chubz

there is no fiberglass with metal in it, there is metal with fiberglass in it :)

Its called glare and they make the A380 plane hull with it. I have been trying to get a sample to press a board with it since the last 2 years... but its almost impossible.

This HAS to be awsome in a snowboard...first to shoot a board with it wins my respect!

N

Chubz,

If you can get it from Bruce it would probably be easier. Titanal is very close to the 7000 series Aluminum, and you can easily find that in the US. AMAG Rollings product is Phosphoric anodized and has a primer to help the laminating process. It also has a shelf life, not sure of the length tho... Sulphuric acid anodizing is the most common and there are definitely peeling issues with that process. If there is an anodizer in your area that does aircraft parts they might be able to help. ( Boeing and Mil standard in the US ) Getting the material is the easy part... getting someone to anodize and prime it is another story.

Chuck

many boardmakers use some kevlar, either a small % of kevlar in the fiberglass tissue or small, specific areas are full kevlar. Pogo, however, uses 100% kevlar tissue.:cool:

edit: ohh, and you asked about Titanal Thickness... correct me if I'm wrong, but Titanal is usually .5mm thick, but Kessler uses special .4mm thick sheets.

Whats the benifit of kevlar vs carbon vs fiberglass (besides $$$$)

I appreciate all of the input and have gotten Texalium samples. Cool material, but dont know the tru effects of it, if any.

CF comes in a variety of different weaves and grades, not cheap, i will tell you that, simply due to a recent shortage. Military was gobbling up a good bit of it, but it is still available.

Looked at Kevlar, but in speaking with my CF supplier, it seemed CF would fit the characteristics I was looking for in building boards.

Looking for titanal because I have heard great things about it and two Pogos I own absolutely rip and they have titanal in them.

I have a variety of different experiments I plan on once I get my board processed refined.

Thanks Again, just hope Bruce will help a budding builder out.

Greg

Fiberglass: Cheapest, heaviest, can be laminated with almost any resin, relatively good on impact, ok in compression, prone to osmosis.

Kevlar: Expensive, light, laminated with epoxy only, good on impact, good in tension.

Carbon: Very expensive, very light and very stif for its weight, laminated with epoxy only, very bad on impact (brittle).

Dampness of a board is equivalent of the dissimilarity of resonance of various components used.

Contact titanalsports - I'm sure they got distributors for titanal in the States. As you probabely know titanal is a brandmark for a certain unknow type of alloy mixture sold by titanalsports from Austria.

All racing skis still use glassfibre together with titanal layers. It complements each other. I don't think that Kevlar or Carbon is a good substitute for glassfibre, as it doesn't flex as easy.

Wouldn't their resistance to flexing be a good thing, because you could use less for the same amount of flex, which would make for a lighter board? I feel like the boards I have are heavier than they need to be. There are boards out there with Kevlar and Carbon. I wonder if they are lighter? Like BlueB said its the different resonances of material that give a board it's dampness. It seems like the right combination of materials would make for better boards, not going with just one or the other.