Note to New Members ×

OK all you angle, lift and cant Gurus

Bobby Buggs

Do you use toe or heel lift at lower angles? Is there a point where the benefit of the lifts is diminished, like below 50 degres or something like that.Im mounting up my Nidecker Proto and going 50 or lower, just wondering. Im using my usual Heel lift back and slight toe lift front from my 60 plus angles.

Hey Bobby, I'm no expert, but in case you want to experiment with my setup -- I use flat front, 3-deg cant back. Angles: 50 front, 30-40 back. I rode with back heel lift for a while, but it seemed to tweak my back knee, so I reverted back to just back cant.

I'm knock-kneed, as well as relatively inflexible.

After much experimentation, my binding angles have settled into 55 degrees front, toe up 3 degrees, inward cant of 5 degrees.

My back angles are 48 degrees, with 10 degrees of heel lift and an inward cant of 5 degrees.

Stance width - 18.5 inches.

Bobby,

here is my 2 cents on this topic. . .

The amount of cant and lift that an individual uses should be directly related to their personal body mechanics. I know that I have 2 bad knees. . . I use them for a barometer for how my cants and lifts need to be adjusted. Basically, I set the board up . . . do a run, and pay attention to where I feel strain on my knee. Based on what I feel I will make a cant or lift adjustment to make that strain go away. When I no longer feel any strain, im good to go, and also normally, in a very good position to get the best leverage I can on the board.

If you are feeling no pain in your lower body . . . your current cants and lifts are probably pretty good.

If you are feeling pain . . . I would reccomend adjusting.

I have found that for most people that know how to identify where their pain is, that I can put them on a set of Cateks, take them out, and in a run or two get them dialed in to a "comfy" set of cants and lifts for whatever angles they like to ride. I have done this with a couple people. . . Sometimes it involves me adjusting my setup such that I start to feel the same pain as the other person and figuring out first hand how to make it go away. Once this is done, we can quickly measure the cants and lifts, and then see how closely we can duplicate those settings on the equipment you have.

On a last side note. . . I personally also advocate running your stance as wide (within reason) and as flat as possible (without pain).

So that was more like 8 to 10 cents. . .

My view (and I might be wrong): on a wider board where you can apply lower angles toe/heel lift/cant do not make too much of a sense unless you have a body geometry that needs some adjustments.

On narrower boards with angles close and above 60 a properly set toe/heel lift/cant increases comfort level and also helps to find the proper centered position.

At least this is my experience.....

Best

well as far as Pain goes, wait till your 43, there is no amount of lift or cant that will make it go away :freak3:

I will report on Friday night how this worked out.

I forgot about that old fart factor. . . but it still might be worth a try.

Ok a couple runs into it I got comfortable. Need to widen the stance. The Proto is the shortest effective edge I have been on in about 5 years and that was the tricky part. The board holds on the hard stuff quite well, it was impressive. I didnt have a problem with the lower angles but I did see that I was putting my right hand on the snow more than usual. Not a habbit I want to get into. Over all its going to take a day of riding just that ALONE, By my self and not with the Carve Fathers for me to fully realize the potential of that board. I know it will be great on a loose snow day. In the end I got back on my Coiler and played EC tag with a couple guys. Thats not something I was ready to do on the Proto :nono: