Note to New Members ×

Screwy Morrow binding holes?

johnstewart

So I was helping my sister get into snoboarding and we picked her up a cheap board:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3659590304

The topsheet says "Revert 55 ee116 wide" 155cm, and I've no idea what year it is.

I just got the thing today and the hole pattern for the bindings are totally screwy. Can't find the cable for my digital camera right now, so I'll try and describe it:

On both the front and rear bindings, there is a single hole in the middle, with holes radially around it. On the front ones, there are 7 total holes, and 9 total holes in the back.

This is like nothing I've seen in my (limited) experience. Anyone know what kind of bindings would possibly fit?

I already got her some K2 clickers, so I'm afraid we may be SOL.

Good luck finding bindings for it. The board you have sounds like it was made before the 4x4 insert pattern was the standard. When this board was made most companies had their own insert pattern, if I remember correctly Morrow used their own pattern. This means that you'll need to track down a pair of morrow bindings that are pre-1993. My advise is to use this board as a wall decoration.

If you really want to use this set-up you might be able to take it to an experienced shop person and they might be able to put in some t-nuts or heli coils and then you can use your clickers.

I have some Burton race plates that have a three hole pattern. When I got the Burton canting disk set it allowed me to mount the race plates onto my boards with a four hole pattern. You might be able to do something similar but you may need to customize the base of the canting disk.

alan

Originally posted by gawdzira

I have some Burton race plates that have a three hole pattern. When I got the Burton canting disk set it allowed me to mount the race plates onto my boards with a four hole pattern. You might be able to do something similar but you may need to customize the base of the canting disk.

alan

I doubt it; these holes are way wider than any bindings or cant plates I've ever seen. Looks like I just plain got screwed. I emailed the guy, but unless he give the money back I'll be filing a complaint.

I mean, if the pics don't show it, and he doesn't mention it, then a board of this type would be "significantly misrepresented", I think.

I had the same set-up from the early 90's and only Morrow bindings would work with that board (and they sucked). If you can't get your money back, use it to make a porch swing (sorry).

Different topic: I will be in Mt. Horeb the first weekend in March. Any carvers at Tyrol?

Kenton

Yep, you got yourself a cheap "old" board. Sounds like the old Burton type pattern from about 15 years ago. You'll need some cheap "old" bindings to go along with it. But what I would do is drill new holes and T-nut it. At least that way she can use the board and the bindings you already have without spending anymore $$$.

Originally posted by MAD1

Yep, you got yourself a cheap "old" board. Sounds like the old Burton type pattern from about 15 years ago. You'll need some cheap "old" bindings to go along with it. But what I would do is drill new holes and T-nut it. At least that way she can use the board and the bindings you already have without spending anymore $$$.

T-nut it... how do I do this??

How much do you like your sister?

If you are an expert carpenter or a machinist then retrofitting a snowboard with t-nuts would be a questionable last resort.

Since you are asking the question of what a t-nut is, then, unless you don't really like your sister, find her another board.

http://www.woodworkingtips.com/woodtips/sntip43.html

alan

p.s. I manufactured about 1000 benches for K2 in the late 90's made of snowboards and will be the first to admit that they make better coffee tables than benches.

Well, we don't really meet up anywhere since its a very small hill and we can usually spot all the hardbooters prettty quickly. NASTAR runs at 10 so we usually are at the top of the course around then. therwise we usually ride the "b" and "c" lifts which empty into the same loading area. I'll try to be out there....silver helmet, either a yellow Burton, or a red, white and blue Rossi.

I have an older Morrow board as well which I like ( powder scoops ) I wanted to put new bindings on it.

So I got an idea from a recent thread on home made riser plates. Make some riser plates from a thick plastic cutting board. drill the riser plate and with counter sunk ( flat head ) screws, bolt this to the board. Mark the riser with a 4x4 patern and drill the riser for T-nuts. Then bolt your 4x4 bindings to the riser. 1/4" T-nuts are available in most hardware stores for a few cents.

BobD