Note to New Members ×

Child's Snowboarding Helmet

hooknbounce

I am getting ready to take my 5 1/2yo son up to Keystone for his first time out on a snowboard. Does any one have a reccomendation for a kid's helmet? When I started skiing (younger than he is) 32 years ago, helmets were unheard of and as I grew up they were definately not cool. "Helmets are for fags", I believe the saying went amongst us "Cool Kids" (with or without head injury). I am trying to break the cycle with him, eventhough I still do not ride with one myself :smashfrea (I know, I know, but I am well insured). :o

Any recommendations on an adult sized helmet would be greatly appreciated too, as I should be showing him the right way.

Sorry if this is not the right forum to be posting this in, I'm new

I took my friends 5 yo helmet shopping a few weeks ago and ended up with a Giro Ricochet, fits good, easily adjustable, and seems to be holding up well. I have a Bern G that I've worn maybe twice, fits well, and it's well made, but the vents open and close too easily (sometimes by themselves).

For a kids helmet that will fit and look stylish it's hard to go wrong with a Protec. I know it's not the best out there but the thing about them is that they fit and they look like every other skateboarder/park rat so the whole peer pressure thing won't be at play....In truth I prefer the fit of my Skate helmet to my snowboard helmet so much that this is the last season for my Boeri.

I also like the Giro Ricochet on my 4yo daughter.

What I like most:

-light weight (they don't have much neck muscle at that age) esp when falling it is going to protect their head and not wreck their neck

-adjustable strap at the rear so they can grow into it (also makes it easier to put it on loose then tighten the helmet once on)