Note to New Members ×

Water/ water/water

Recon

Many times I have heard drink lots of water on the slope!

Interesting facts

WATER

Eye Opening Information!

This is really an eye opener... We all know that water

is

important but I've never seen it written down like this before.

WATER

1. 75% of Americans are chronically

dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism

is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one's

metabolism as much as 3%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight

hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied

in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime

fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10

glasses of water a day could significantly ease back

and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger

fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math,

and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on

a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases

the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash

the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50%

less likely to develop bladder cancer.

I have heard this and maybe this site can shed some light on the subject of Coke, AKA Breakfast of Champions.

http://www.snopes.com/cokelore/acid.asp

Thank you. Now my conspiracy theorist mind knows for a fact that coke must be bad for you and that you, C5 Golfer, are being paid by Coca-Cola Inc. to peddle that website so that they can retain their sales. :eplus2:

Mythbusters did about 1/2 an episode about Coke (Mythbuster's Brand Cola as a matter of fact ;) ), and they disproved all but one of them-the ham. I'll still take good ol' H2O to CH3Ph8H4Ca4CO2 (or whatever the ungodly long chemical formula is for cola) anyday, but not because it's nessicarily bad for you, I just like Ginger Ale better than coke, and water more than that. If you want to harp on the badness-for-you of coke, target the caffiene and high sugar content...(but don't forget to stop drinking coffee when you do!)

http://www.dhmo.org/

Check out this web site for the truth!

OK what exactly are the KKK and the NAACP using this stuff for at rallies?

Gotta agreee with you DrD. Some one has waaaay too much time on their hands.

I am still sticking with my original fix. Big old shot o' Jim Beam in either water or coke neutralizes all the bad stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
too bad most water is contaminated/chemicalized, even most bottled water

sick, sad world we live in

when I get my house Im gettin:

http://www.equinox-products.com/EquinoxEQ-300RhinoWholeHouseWaterFiltrationSystem.htm

D-Sub,

No, no, nooooooooooo! :nono: Did you make that up? :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. Make no assumptions, ask a chemist instead :biggthump

2. Ask me anything about water, 13+ years as a Water Quality Chemist :AR15firin

3. Equinox is a $hitty product. I tested a purification filter unit sold by the company, as I recall over a million heterotrophic plate count bacteria colonies in a single glass of water :eek::eek:

4. Ask questions, do not fear the truth.

5. Drink water, live long and prosper :)

3. Equinox is a $hitty product. I tested a purification filter unit sold by the company, as I recall over a million heterotrophic plate count bacteria colonies in a single glass of water :eek: :eek:

Huge, do you have a couple that are good products to recommend? Much appreciated.

Huge, do you have a couple that are good products to recommend? Much appreciated.

Water Quality 101: Most people want to remove the chlorine to improve the taste of their tap water. During the chlorination process, chlorine byproducts are also formed (Trihalomethanes or THM's). Any decent charcoal filter will remove almost all of the chlorine and THM's. Brita (pitcher) filters do the same job, but require more frequent filter changes and also takes more time to filter the water. My family uses one, it works fine. Other options are counter top filters, under the sink filters and whole house filters. I can endorse any of those except the whole house filters (waste of money to filter your toilet, shower, laundry, all sinks, etc).

The main drawback to the Equinox system was that it was a sealed unit, where the filter could not be changed out. High price of $300 and good for 10,000 gallons. So, once a dirty hand touches the exit tube, bacteria starts to grow inside. Bacteria is everywhere, but hopefully that bad kind (E. Coli, poopy stuff) doesn't get inside. That is the main reason for changing the filter once or twice a year, so that you can disinfect the unit with bleach and rinse with chlorinated tap water before replacing the filter.

Elements of a good water purification system: affordable unit, affordable replacement filters, filters that remove contaminants of concern, easy to clean and disinfect between filter changes. Inexpensive filters are a key component. Kenmore Countertop Water Filter Sears item #03234551000 Mfr. model #34551 is a good start for a non-permanent setup. Many homeowners prefer the under the counter filter setup, single, double or triple filter setup. My parents have the triple filter under the sink and it doesn't taste any better than the counter top model, but it looks better and doesn't take up counter space :cool: Another drawback to the counter top model is the hose that attaches to the faucet.

D-Sub was correct that bottled water may have more contaminants than drinking water, but one thing for sure is that it is not tested as often and the testing requirements are totally insufficient in my opinion.

For one person, the Brita would do fine for coffee and drinking.

I can add more information as questions are raised,

Hugh