Note to New Members ×

SES board reviews?

Frank Morales

Guest Tim Tuthill

Hey Frank: I rode a Virus. It hooked up big time when I pushed hard. I'm too old to be doin that. I'm very compfortable with the Hots and Burners I have now. Aspen was great!

I rode the Prior WCM 173. All I can say was WOW!! I expected a metal board to be much stiffer all over, but it was quite the opposite. The flex pattern was a bit softer and very damp. I rode it on a day that there was about 4-5 inches of fresh that got pretty choppy. The board blasted through everything the mountain served up, without even budging off track. Needless to say, I loved this board!!

Very fast, stable in speed, it cruises effortlessly, when you push it hard it changes in the beast. Harder you ride it better it behaves, The camber on this one is 1.25". One of the fastet edge to edge transition. This board fits me better than Gladiator Zylon. Frank gave me price I could not refused, so I bought it. And this board makes nice companion to X racer. After I rode this board I did not have any need to try anything else.

post-159-141842229602_thumb.jpg

Ladia,I have that same board its insane you've got to be on your game to ride it.

I like using it early when I'm fresh it demands respect and loves to be pushed hard.Step, I've heard nothing but good things about the Prior thanks for info.

Keep the reviews coming guys and gals whats better than having the worlds best carving boards at your finger tips?Thats worth the trip alone.

The Virus scared the hell out of me. But probably going from a 9.5m sidecut 4WD onto a (to quote Frank) "oh only small, about 16 meters" sidecut 173cm Virus wasn't the best idea. The thing rails though when you get it to turn.

I rode both the 173 and 183 Prior metals. Simply awesome! Steph is dead right. They just run through anything and you just don't feel it like you do on the standard WCR even. I want one. No, I want TEN!

I rode the Prior WCM 173. All I can say was WOW!! I expected a metal board to be much stiffer all over, but it was quite the opposite. The flex pattern was a bit softer and very damp. I rode it on a day that there was about 4-5 inches of fresh that got pretty choppy. The board blasted through everything the mountain served up, without even budging off track. Needless to say, I loved this board!!

Can't remember if those pics posted of you were on that board, but either way, lookin good!

I only demo'd one board, the PureBoarding #2 (Black Betty) 164cm. The board was a blast! Rode it for a day and a half, at Ajax, Highlands, and Buttermilk.

I usually ride boards that are 180+, right now SCR 10.5 - 13, and wasn't sure what to expect from #2. It was excellent -- I took two turns on it and felt right at home. It's quite a bit wider and shorter than my 179 Prior 4WD, quite a bit softer as well, but it carved up a storm and it felt much longer than 164. The upturned tail was great for riding switch, and for some tricks I tried.

At the end of the day it was a great all-around carving board, though, don't be fooled by the twin-tip and think it's just for tricks, etc. If I could only have ONE board, I think this could be the one :) I'll write up a more detailed review in another week+,

tom.

Tom,

When I first posted I was hoping to hear what others thought of all the boards

at SES.When I didn't get a response I figured I'd give a review of my sticks I'm riding this season.I was lucky to get a 158 #two and feel the same way about it.I've been riding narrow boards until last season I got a SWOARD and fell in love with the width and took a wider stance with lower angles and found a new style of riding thats very comfortable and versatile.I still dig the racing style but I've got to admit wide boards are sure fun specialy for EC and for more of a surf type of riding.Linking EC turns is not a easy style to learn even for a experienced rider.I have alot of respect for J P and the way they have masterd that style of riding they took it to the next level after Nerva and Bauer.And then you Virus,narrow,fast,deep trenches.

• 3 weeks later...
Please give us more details...

Sorry, been slacking :( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggX4ZIIXho4">Spring break</a>, soft snow, tons of work to catch up with after SES.

I really did enjoy riding the board. What kinds of things do you want to know about it that weren't mentioned yet? I might be able to answer some of them..

BTW, Joerg left a few boards here in the USA, so those interested in buying them (from him directly) may save good $$ on the shipping.

tom.

Well i have some questions (not so much feedbacks on their forum...).

What differences did you note with other alpine boards ?

Is it a very nervous board?

Does it require a specific technique (such as rotation) or can you ride itlike aclassic alpine board?

What difference with boards like F2 Eliminator (boardercross)?

What tricks did you test with it?

Thanks!

:)Silver

Silver,

I rode my 158 #Two last week back to back to my 158 Madd.

I took five boards to the mountain because of season coming to a end with spring conditions coming on strong.Started with Madd snow was very firm from being wet the day before quick rail to rail turns super grip and edge hold.

When snow started to soften #2 worked great crud chop and gromm...As far as tricks it is made to ec which it does well.I noticed you have alot of boards in the 160 range.The #2 rides more like a 163 than a 158.

Yes thats true I prefer 12 scr for ec.They have their own style of riding which is

very much like ec where they are doing laid out turns but in short burst of energy were the swoard holds better on the heelside and takes up more of the slope.I would consider the #Two a good all mountain board that handles crowds well but can still hold an edge when you want to push it hard.I also rode my 163 Tommahawk 21 waist 9.5 scr that handled the same way.So I guess for that type of board you do have a lot of options.I wish I could help you more but as the snow started to firm up later in the day I was in the parking lot working over time switching bindings ,boots, bts springs I wanted to ride as many boards as I could in one day.I finish the day on my 173 Virus Black Death it was like driving a Ferrari compared to a VW rabbit.