Note to New Members ×

SES 07 photos

Donek

Ric,

This is without a doubt some of seans handy work. He deserves a lot of credit based on the fact that the weather (and riders) were not cooperating very much. Sean is quite good with his equipment and provided a great service to the event. As some pointed out, those pictures of the women ripping it are incredible!

Thanks for the Great Pictures sean.

~tb

Ric,

This is without a doubt some of seans handy work. He deserves a lot of credit based on the fact that the weather (and riders) were not cooperating very much. Sean is quite good with his equipment and provided a great service to the event. As some pointed out, those pictures of the women ripping it are incredible!

Thanks for the Great Pictures sean.

~tb

Ok! Great work.

So...(OT)... which lenses?! 300mm F2.8? ;)

No doubt. Pretty ballsy to stick it on f/2.8.

Great toeside technique:

130523130-M.jpg

sniff sniff. . . im so happy that I have finally caught the eye of jack. I have worked so long and hard for this day ;-)

All kidding aside, thanks for the compliment jack! it was hard to do anything wrong in that snow though!

Very well captured moments and with good quality, regardless of suboptimal weather. :biggthump

OT: what lens was used? From pictures it appears to be 70-200 f/2.8, I assume that it's Nikkor lens, not Sigma? Sigma has slightly warm color cast, whereas Nikkor has neutral, as it seems to be in pictures.

I tried Sigma's 50-150 f/2.8, but results were disappointing, thus now I'm pondering whether to use Nikkor 70-200 for best results (its weight and size are main consideration factors, it will be quite tiresome to ride and shoot with this beast all day) or try Nikkor's new 70-300 for my next photo "assignment"...

I shot with the 70-200 f2.8 Nikkor VR lens. Many of the pictures were taken with a 2X Teleconverter in front of the lens (hand held). Although I own the 50 to 500 Sigma, It's not nearly as good as the nikkor product. After only a year and a half, there seems to be a lot of slop in the zoom mechanism. Still takes a good picture, but there's definitely some wear there. If you plan to do a lot of sports, I'd avoid the new 70-300. I just read the stuff in Pop Photo on that one and the f-stop is just too slow for my liking. It does look nice and light and has a very nice price tag on it. I have bought a couple lower priced lenses, but always appreciate the ones I blow a lot of cash on much more. The quality just doesn't compare

I shot with the 70-200 f2.8 Nikkor VR lens. Many of the pictures were taken with a 2X Teleconverter in front of the lens (hand held). Although I own the 50 to 500 Sigma,

Wow! The Bigma!!!

;-)

Anyway... I think that 70-200 F2.8 Nikkor VR is like the 70-200 F2.8 IS from Canon....

Great lenses... very great...

Here you can see some disapointing shots he refers :biggthump

http://carving.grewu.org/gallery/ecsIV/awards/index.htm

Those don't look too dissapointing to me, but I guess it would depend on how they look cropped in. I shoot with a 10.2 Megapixel body, so I've got a fair bit of room to crop in if my subject isn't as close as I'd like. You can really start to see the quality of your lens when you are shooting at the higher resolutions and zoom in. Very nice shots.

Great shots, Sean. It's great to see some serious "girl action" on this board!

Steph, STYLIN', girl! I will be there next year for sure, this is locked into my calendar in concrete - I'd love to ride with you some more, and all the other ladies, it's always so much fun! And I can return the favour and let you ride my Donek ...

Those don't look too dissapointing to me, but I guess it would depend on how they look cropped in. I shoot with a 10.2 Megapixel body, so I've got a fair bit of room to crop in if my subject isn't as close as I'd like. You can really start to see the quality of your lens when you are shooting at the higher resolutions and zoom in. Very nice shots.

Thanks for credit! I have also D200 (these images were taken with it) and its resolution puts indeed most of lens to their limit, as there is only small number of lens, which outresolve this sensor. This Sigma seemed quite OK in mid-distance shots (as in page mentioned above), especially when you resize this 10 Mpix image to 900x600 with little crop (or no crop at all) for web viewing, but most of long-distance shots (which will be viewed almost at 100%) lacked detail. And worst part was that ca. 10 images were completely black, as during zooming lens lost connection with body :eek: . This never happened with Nikkor lens.

Sorry for OT drift, as this thread was about your nice images :biggthump and SES after all.

Thanks for credit! I have also D200 (these images were taken with it) and it's resolution puts indeed most of lens to their limit, as there is only small number of lens, which outresolve this sensor. This Sigma seemed quite OK in mid-distance shots (as in page mentioned above), especially when you resize this 10 Mpix image to 900x600 with little crop (or no crop at all) for web viewing, but most of long-distance shots (which will be viewed almost at 100%) lacked detail. And worst part was that ca. 10 images were completely black, as during zooming lens lost connection with body :eek: . This never happened with Nikkor lens.

Sorry for OT drift, as this thread was about your nice images :biggthump and SES after all.

I have similar problems with the 50-500 sigma not making contact with the body. Usually the camera simply won't fire though. I frequently have to rotate it back a forth a bit to get it make contact. Then there's usually no more problem until I remove the lens.

I shot with the 70-200 f2.8 Nikkor VR lens. Many of the pictures were taken with a 2X Teleconverter in front of the lens (hand held). Although I own the 50 to 500 Sigma, It's not nearly as good as the nikkor product. After only a year and a half, there seems to be a lot of slop in the zoom mechanism. Still takes a good picture, but there's definitely some wear there. If you plan to do a lot of sports, I'd avoid the new 70-300. I just read the stuff in Pop Photo on that one and the f-stop is just too slow for my liking. It does look nice and light and has a very nice price tag on it. I have bought a couple lower priced lenses, but always appreciate the ones I blow a lot of cash on much more. The quality just doesn't compare

Many of the pictures were taken with a 2X Teleconverter in front of the lens

I assume that you mean, that teleconverter was not in front, but between body and lens?

If you plan to do a lot of sports, I'd avoid the new 70-300.

This new 70-300 seems actually quite nice lens optically (sharpness/contrast), at least up to 200 mm, so it's quite good lightweight alternative to big and heavy 70-200 f/2.8.

But I agree, that 70-300 won't be best lens for sport in general due to its small maximum aperture, but I believe, that for shooting snowboarding/carving it will be OK, as in sunshine there is enough light to shoot f/8 and still get fast enough shutter speed to stop motion (1/500-1/1000). Of course if there is need to have photo in any condition (even on cloudy day), then f/2.8 lens is a must, but fortunately photography is hobby for me and I can choose whether to photograph or not, so I'll take my camera along only on sunny days.