Note to New Members ×

Deeluxe, mp sizing, and custom footbeds - help and opinions please

Bullwings

So, I followed the tech article here for measuring and sizing up your foot. My foot measured 29.4 cm (i normally wear a size 12 shoe), so naturally I ordered some mondo 29 boots (Suzukas to be specific).

When my boots arrived in the mail, I went to surefoot and got them molded and fitted with their custom footbeds. However, they noted that my step tends to pronate a lot even though the soles of my shoes don't show it and look normal. I think this might have reduced the length measurement of my foot.

I am experiencing significant heel lift. I went to surefoot and had them help me out, and it's a lot better, but there's still heel lift. I went and bought some superfeet, and threw those under my liners inside the shell itself. I'm going to try one last thing for getting my heel to fit in nice and snug, after that I'm gonna pony up and start looking for new boots. Btw, I have 9 days on the boots, and have sprained my ankle once due to the loose heel fit - that's when i did all the modifications.

So, on to my question, do you think the boots are too big? If so, i'm looking at the Track 325 T and Track 225 T. How do these compare to the Suzukas? How does the sizing compare to the Suzukas (I'm thinking of getting mondo 28s, but don't want to make the same mistake again)? Are they (the track models) directly compatible with BTS? Any other things i should know?

All help is appreciated - I don't want to have to buy a third set of boots. Thanks

Its a bummer that you are having those problems. The Suzukas and Indys definitely fit differently from the Tracks. Take my opinions with a grain of salt since I haven't worn either since they were called AF and SB models. Regardless, I never could get either to fit. Perhaps they were slightly too big, but I needed that in order for the instep to fit me properly. Also for width.

So are they too big? Not sure. What did Surefoot say when they shell fit them for you? I'm surprised they haven't been able to resolve it for you. You might want to try ordering a pair of Heads and see if they fit better. Try them with your Surefoot footbeds but don't mold them or wear them other than on the carpet. That way you can return them if its not any better. The moldable liners in the Heads aren't like Thermoflex so you'll get a decent sense of fit even before you heat them.

My heads fit perfectly and hold my heel down really well.

the first time i went there when i got them molded, they didn't say anything after the shell fit test.

the second time around, they said that it was a little too big. he was getting around 2.5-3 fingers in when he did a shell fit test. i might go back one more time, but after that, i'm through.

First, I have to mention that the superfeet footbeds go INSIDE the thermoflex liners, not under them (between the liner and shell). They do nothing in that position but take up room in a weird way.

As for sizing, I've mentioned in this in several other threads, but my feet both measured 27.5cm so I bought the mondo 27 Suzuka. When I did the shell test (foot in shell without liner), it showed the shell a bit too big, but I molded them anyway. I had the heal lift you mention and also shin bang. I wore them for 4 days and ended up ordering the Suzuka mondo 26. I molded them and they fit perfect so had to sell the mondo 27 and take quite a loss, but it was well worth it. My mondo 26 fit so well, I don't loosen the straps from the time I put them on in the morning to the time I take them off at the end of the day. I don't even loosen them during lunch they fit so well. So basically my 27.5cm feet needed a mondo 26. The finger/shell test is a good start, but everyones fingers are different. Most places have a wood dowel that they use. It looks like it's about 1.75 to 2.0 cm diameter. If you have more space than that between your heal and the back of the shell, it's probably too big, even with moldable liners.

I molded them myself and followed all the published tips and tricks in the various carving websites. Read the detailed articles. They describe the shell test and how to mold properly (attach footbed to bottom of bare foot, cottom between toes, old thick sock to cap toes, thin sock over that, heat liner, put over foot, cover with pantyhose to protect it as you shove it in the boot, buckle boot lightly not tightly, stand with tow on 2x4 or phonebook for 15 minutes, and Bam! perfect fit).

The key is starting with the correct size boot.

I've used both Suzukas and the old SB series which is from the same mold as the Tracks. I didn't notice any different in the way they fit through the heel but the toe area sure feels roomier on the Suzuka. I found myself using the same size in both boots (25) although more comfortably in the Suzuka.

BTS works on any Deeluxe hard boot.

I had a pair of 225's, they were way too big (they fit when I bought them several years ago - feet change shape). Apparently, the Deeluxe boots fit big. Get them 1 or 2 sizes smaller than your mondo size. Do a shell test BEFORE fitting the liner. If the shell test works out, then fit the liner. If not, send 'em back and get a different size.

No point in trying to ride in boots that don't fit right. It's painful.

cool, thanks for all the info.

as for the superfeet, i know that they're supposed to go inside the liners. but, i already have my custom Surefoot beds in there. i threw the superfeet in purely for the purpose of taking up room.

anyway, i'll try out some other else with my current boots and see if that works out, although i have a good feeling the boots are too big. my instinct and the feel tells me they're too big, and people's experiences with Deeluxe and their mondo sizing also tells me that they're too big. looks like i gotta eat up another loss - ah well. btw, how much does it cost to ship boots? i'll probably be putting my boots up on the classified section soon, if not later (without the BTS ;) ).

Anyway, now the question is, which boot to go with? Suzuka, 325T, or 225T? the buckles on the new track models look very enticing.

hey, abakker, how much stiffer are the 325s vs the Suzuka? I'm looking for more of an all mountain boot that i can take anywhere, including pow.

the track 325 is classified as the same stiffness as the suzuka although since it is not AF the flex pattern is different. however i really like the track series and ride mine on several boards ranging from an F2 and a coiler pure race to a rad air tanker. i ride them in all condidtions and in powder i just ride in walk mode.

Alex

ok, well, the 325T is out of the question since both bomber and hardbooter don't have them in mondo 28s.

so, now it's between the Suzuka and 225T. I don't think there was really anything wrong with the Suzuka, but then again i have nothing to compare it to other than soft boots.

Keep in mind, i'm 150 lbs. and consider myself at least moderately aggressive, although i don't have the skill set to really push any of my equipment to it's limits - i've only logged 9 days on a hardboot set up so far. I'm pretty much looking for an all mountain boot that will keep me going well after the groomers are all done and chopped up. I also intend to use only hardboots (even in pow), at least for the next 2-3 years no matter what the conditions are, which is what i've been doing this year. I also have a set of BTS waiting for either boot to fine tune.

Thanks abakker, i'm leaning toward the track 225 since i'm still new to hardbooting and i doubt that I'll be pushing either setup to it's limits. I figure the 225s are like the 325s with a bit more flex due to it being a different plastic - and they both use the same shell molds. Looking for any more comparisons between the two boots (suzuka vs 225T).

A few people have been commenting on the canting mechanism of the old raichle SB boot series, which is pretty much the same thing on the Track 325/225.

What exactly is the problem with these and what's different with the AF (indy and suzuka) shells that fixes this problem?

Edit: is the SB cant replacement parts at the bomber store compatible with the new track series?