Note to New Members ×

T2 screws getting loose?

johnstewart

So with the pair of T2's I've been riding, the allen screws holding the binding to the cant plate have come loose at least once, and the screws holding the bindings to the board have been loose occasionally.

This is with no locktite or anything else. I didn't want to go this route as I figured I'd be fiddling with them a lot.

However, I've got them pretty much where I want for now. I've used teflon tape (the stuff you use when plumbing to prevent leaks) on other bindings with no problems.

Locktite seems like a bad idea - I don't want any extra crud in there.

What do others use/recommend to keep the bindings from getting loose?

BEST - to use a "T" handle (5mm) if at all possible for both install and remove. Better leverage/torque and less likely to strip the head.

You know you had them snug when you remove them a "T" wrench and you hear a pop/snap. THIS never happened with an "L" shaped allen wrench. Be forwarned, if you bench tighten with a "T" wrench you may not be able to make adjustments (easily) on the hill with a "L' wrench.

I use the L-wrench for the screws which comes with the bindingpackage. I screw them tight till they won't go any further.

They hasn't come loose yet. I don't use glue or any product.

Riding it for 12 days now without problems. I only give the topscrews a 2 mm tighter. It is advisable to check your screws before you go riding every time.

Greets, Hans.

John,

With an L shape wrench, I felt as if I was going to either strip a head or bust a knuckle. With the T wrench, you kind of get a sense when to stop. I am not overly bearing down but I feel more confident than if I had used an L wrench. Especially so with the bolts thru the binding into the base plate. I have used a T wrench on 8 or so different boards over 4 seasons and have not experienced any issues of bolts or inserts becomming loose.

Similar reason I replaced the Intec heel phillips head screws with stainless steel (M5?) metric insert/head bolts. I did not feel confident with the tightness using a screwdriver. It seemed over time one of the eight screws would be loose, or stripped or worse yet, had to be drilled out to remove. Then you might hear a story or witness a heel becomming loose, that is scary on step-ins.

No really, grease your heads. The screw heads. (man, how do I keep this post out of the gutter?) The friction of the large surface area of the Bomber screw head against the binding slot gives you a false torque. You think your screws are tight, when in fact they're just tight against the head, not the threads.

DON'T grease the threads.

-Jack

(thanks to Bob Jenney for this tip)