Note to New Members ×

Low-light goggles

dshack

I'm looking for some goggles for cloudy days, and possibly night skiing (though I may just buy clear ones or use clear glasses for that). After trying to wear my polarized Carrera Kimeriks this last rainy saturday at meadows, I'm realizing I really need some lenses that hold up in flat light. I'm looking to spend around $50. So far I've found:

-Smith Regulator Transit goggles with a 70-% VLT cool-looking "sensor mirror lens"

-Dragon DXS with a blue ionized lens: no VLT information, but touted as low-light, high contrast.

-Zeal Detonators or Aspects: I can't find any information on lens tints- do any of you have Zeals that work in low light?

-Oakley A- or O-frames with persimmon lenses: they've got a pretty high VLT, around 60% I think, but I've been told yellow and high-intensity tints have way higher contrast. Thoughts?

-Oakley Wisdoms with H.I. yellow lenses. Super-tempting, but they're $80 and I'm worried that if the sun came out at all, I'd go blind.

Between Smith, Zeal, Dragon, and Oakley, have you noticed any goggles that are particularly good or bad as far as peripheral vision, clarity, or light transmission go? What goggles do you use if you're expecting crappy weather?

I'm looking for some goggles for cloudy days, and possibly night skiing (though I may just buy clear ones or use clear glasses for that). After trying to wear my polarized Carrera Kimeriks this last rainy saturday at meadows, I'm realizing I really need some lenses that hold up in flat light. I'm looking to spend around $50. So far I've found:

-Smith Regulator Transit goggles with a 70-% VLT cool-looking "sensor mirror lens"

-Dragon DXS with a blue ionized lens: no VLT information, but touted as low-light, high contrast.

-Zeal Detonators or Aspects: I can't find any information on lens tints- do any of you have Zeals that work in low light?

-Oakley A- or O-frames with persimmon lenses: they've got a pretty high VLT, around 60% I think, but I've been told yellow and high-intensity tints have way higher contrast. Thoughts?

-Oakley Wisdoms with H.I. yellow lenses. Super-tempting, but they're $80 and I'm worried that if the sun came out at all, I'd go blind.

Between Smith, Zeal, Dragon, and Oakley, have you noticed any goggles that are particularly good or bad as far as peripheral vision, clarity, or light transmission go? What goggles do you use if you're expecting crappy weather?

I have Oakley A-Frames with HI Blue (similar to HI Yellow), they are very nice as the contrast is excellent (you can see me wearing them here Although it isn't ideal, you can wear them in sunny weather (just wore them for 2 days in crystal clear California skies and 40 degree weather in Tahoe). Basically, when I'm on the lift I focus on trees instead of the sky or snow.

I have Oakley A-Frames with HI Blue (similar to HI Yellow), they are very nice as the contrast is excellent (you can see me wearing them here Although it isn't ideal, you can wear them in sunny weather (just wore them for 2 days in crystal clear California skies and 40 degree weather in Tahoe). Basically, when I'm on the lift I focus on trees instead of the sky or snow.

HI blue and HI yellow are the same. They just changed the name.

Anyway, they are the brightest lense next to clear and you'll see better with this lense than clear.

Dragon's blue ionized lense works very well in flat light. I've had the DX model with that lense for a few years now. Just got the Gold ionized and it's better for bright light but works well for low light too. Straight flat or darker, I'd go Blu ionized. But be careful don't wipe the lense with the goggle wipe some gloves have (the squeegee thing) it can rub off the ionized coating. It happend to me last season.

J

I bought the sensor mirror lense for my regulator goggles which were originally a brown mirror for more sunny days. I was REALLY impressed with them on the 2 times I've used them. I can't speak for yellow, but the sensor mirrors were really good in cloudy flat light riding and although not as good as clear for night riding were MUCH better than my old brown lenses. I've been told rose is good for flat light too but haven't used them to compare. I think you can buy replacement lenses from smith for about $44.

I'm on my 2nd pair. I own two pairs of A-frames, one with the high-intensity yellow and one with the VR28 which is essentially a driving lens. The yellows come out any day where there is any kind of cloud cover and the VR28's come out on bluebird days. I would never have survived 4 season of Mount Hood Meadows without the yellows. They really unflatten the light and bring out the contrast. (The VR28's do that very well on bright days - especially when you go through a shady patch I might add). I used them for night carvbing at Ski Bowl as well with excellent results.

(Aside: I wish Hoodoo or Willamette had night carving during the weeks... I really miss being able to get a few turns after work)