Note to New Members ×

Anyone shave with a double-edged or straight razor?

dshack

You'd be surprised. Normal razors are designed so that they pull hairs out of their follicles before cutting them, which irritates the skin. Also, with 3+ blades, all but the first one are cutting with almost no lubrication. With a straight or double razor, you lubricate every pass, and don't pull the hair. Especially on my neck, it's a hell of a lot more comfortable than disposables.

should explain things pretty well.

Never have used an electric razor..

I watched an old John Wayne movie the other day = Rio Bravo with Walter Brennan and Angie Dickinson. There is a part in there where the beautiful Angie Dickinson - Feathers - is shaving Dean Martin with a straight razor.

What a thrill it would be to have a 30ish Angie Dickinson shaving me, :1luvu::eplus2::1luvu::eplus2::1luvu::eplus2:

• 2 weeks later...

I started shaving with a safety razor about 15 years ago on the recomendation of our flight surgeon (Navy) I switched to a brush and soap about 8 years ago during the aftermath of Super Typhoon Paka (no water or power for a few weeks). Razor burn is not a problem at all especially with a good soap. I do have a favorite blade for my safety razor but that stems from which blade I've been nicked with the least. I plan on switching to a straight razor when I retire from the Navy (I spend to much overseas right to carry one around in my luggage). Shaving with a straight razor is very fun...scare the hell out of my wife too

I've got an old two blade - the blades are cheaper. I've had no problem with razor burn, but it doesnt shave that closely. I also got one of the 5 blade razors in the mail, and it worked great - but I was too cheap to go buy new blades until I at least run out of the old one