Note to New Members ×

Burton FP vs Burton Speed???

kmagvette

I'm a little confused. I had a Burton FP (151) that I thought had a nice soft flex. Someone (not the seller) talked me nto a Burton Speed (160) and indicated that it was just a little softer than the FP.

Well I got out on the Speed and it is a rock copared to the FP. I can carve it OK, but it needs some gas. Just wondering if my ovservation comparing the flex of both boards is in line with what you guys see.

The Speed was a lot of fun on a GS course.

I thought the Speeds were a little stiffer them the Primes. I've got the 160 and its stiffer then a couple boards that were made for my weight. maybe its the length difference. the 151 was made for a smaller person, so it's softer then the 160 which is stiffer for someone larger? Not sure you can accurately compare stiffness of 2 different models if they aren't the same length. Just a guess.

While we`re on the subject of Burtons..... Anyone ever ride the R17 models that I often see here in Japan?

I`ve seen then up to 215mm waists and that would suit my 30 mondos perfectly, I`m just not sure about how stiff they are? I think they might be really soft for the Japanese market but really don`t know.

While we`re on the subject of Burtons..... Anyone ever ride the R17 models that I often see here in Japan?

I`ve seen then up to 215mm waists and that would suit my 30 mondos perfectly, I`m just not sure about how stiff they are? I think they might be really soft for the Japanese market but really don`t know.

My 130 lb son has a 154 R17 Addicted and loves it. I'm going to put him on a longer GS board but he doesn't want to give up the Addicted.

My observation on the R17 is that they are quite stiff. My daughter has a 151 Prior WCR and it's a noodle compared to the R17.

BTW, I know there are a couple of R17s in a local shop here. I can check the length and price here for you. I know prices in Japan are high so you might be better off buying in Canada and having it shipped.

I have the R-17 178 200s....

I find it slightly stiffer than the 98-99 FP's... they ride quite similar though..

BUT.. The FP's i own are smaller in size and hence the stiffness would be different in various lengths.....

The only thing I hate about them is the lack of a tail protector..

But they ride brilliantly... I love mine...

correct me if I am wrong

but I think (in terms of stiffness) from stiffest to noodle

FP--speed--R17 (same within reason)

UP

ALP

Coiler---Edeck(same within reason)

Fusion

From what I've read and heard.. I think you're spot on with that one :biggthump

I actually thought the Speed took over from the Ultra Prime... But having said that... the speed was avaliable in quite long lengths whereas the UP was only avaliable in two lengths.. I'm talking 98-99 model years.... I only have the catalogues up to 99.... and Alpine boards disapeared out of Aus in 2000 completely..

mmmm, i think the question was aimed at the UP, FP style of boards. Coil, edeck, amp were all a bit wide if i recall correctly.

Yes, this is a very good assumption. I hesitated getting the Speed as it is the widest board I've ever been on (20 cm). Perhaps that accounts for a lot of the perceived stiffness.

Now for the funny part: To date my bindings were very old dead flat Burton Variplates (I think). My TD2's (couldn't pass on a good deal) just showed up on the porch today. I have a whole herd of cant plates of various angles so a lot of experimenting is in my future. Hopefully these bindings will help this beginner reel in the Speed.

Thanks for all you responses. As I have posted earlier, I have never seen anyone else with an alpine set-up where I ride/ski. So I rely on you guys.

Thanks for all you responses. As I have posted earlier, I have never seen anyone else with an alpine set-up where I ride/ski. So I rely on you guys.

This place rocks when it comes to combined knowledge!!

There is sooooo much to learn about this sport and all of it's equipment!!! :biggthump