Note to New Members ×

WTB Raichle race tongues

Joe D

I have a pair, yellow. Came with my boots when I stole them from MikeT's closet, and I've never tried them, just put the stock soft ones back in and threw the yellow ones in the gear box.

-jon-

Jon, hope you don't mind if I provide more info on these tongues.

These are the softer of the two sets that came with the SB225's. I used them on both 225's and the boots that Jon is riding now. I found that, for me, these tongues gave about the same forward flex resistance as the Suzukas when used with their of these boots. The lateral flex of the Suzuka, 225 and LeMans/423/324/224 were all however perceived by Yours Truly to be different.

Joe D., which SB series boots do yo have? I have fiddled with different tongues on SB boots quite a bit and might be able to give you some realistic expectations about what to expect by swapping tongues.

Hi all,

I have SB 224's - and I'm riding with the original brown/bronze tongues.

I like the overall boot flex, but I need more resistance to forward flex.

My 5-pos is locked at position 4.

I have seen a black set advertised as 'race' tongues for SB boots. This is what I was hoping to try. Stiffest of all.

I have a loss of dorsiflexion at the anterior ankle (tibiotalar impingement at ~30 degrees) as well as other anatomic issues, so flexing forward fast feels like I'm gonna break my ankle on a toeside.

BTW I'm off to orthopedist again tomorrow for more eval. I may need a new one - this guy is a skier and doesn't seem to 'get' the ankle as being particularly important.

pnwradar & Mike, thanks for your help & advice!

The stiffest ones you can get, to the best of my knowledge, would be from the SB race kit which is, again to the best of my knowledge, unobtainium. Your next best bet would be to find someone who has a set of the Nogano edition 225's who wants to give up their tongues. Again, very unlikely. Your 3rd best option that I am aware of would be the dark green tongues from a set of 325's or the red tongues from a set of 225's, which have been available at various times. pnwradar's tongues are the next best bet after that.

I've heard of people doubling up tongues on the SB series - not quite sure how they set it up - you might try that. Pnwradar's tongues plus your originals would make for some stiff forward flex. POr maybe just do that on the rfont boot and use his yellow tongues alone on the back? Just throwing out ideas at this point, YMMV.

yeah, Mike, I think you're right. I guess the red Nagano tongues were the same stiffness as the black 'race' ones, but prolly whoever has them is riding them.

Looking at the lip on the shell lower, I don't know how you would fit a 2nd tongue in...or maybe you cut the lip off, and cement it to the tongue underneath.

The guys here on Bomber have been so open & helpful, I though I would just toss out a 'WTB' and see what suggestions I get.

pnwradar, I appreciate you offer, I think they would be a incremental improvement, but I might get more stiffness fabricating & heatmolding a thin sheet of plastic to act as a tongue stiffener. Anybody that has done this?

I really like the boots otherwise, b/c the flex is good for my 170lbs: I can flex it but not overpower it.

Looking at the lip on the shell lower, I don't know how you would fit a 2nd tongue in...or maybe you cut the lip off, and cement it to the tongue underneath.

I've seen 2 different guys with the 2nd tongue riveted on top of the original tongue. They'd both cut off the forward "clip" part so that it would overlay the lower tongue better.

As for SB Race Kits, MikeT, you are correct. Absolute Unobtanium unless you can find a set laying around someone's shop. Someone, somewhere has (2) RIGHT Race Kit tongues laying around 'cause I have (2) lefts!! Where is my match? Size 25.0-27.5 Mediums.