Note to New Members ×

3d stereogram

bobble

I am getting three images ( and a bit of a headache ) with the middle one in 3D. It took a couple of times to get the images to superimpose, and another little while to relax the eyes and retain the cental image and the effect but it works!!! Supercool! :biggthump

Yay! Very Cool - Bob!!!

I'm finding that if I view from a distance...

~5 ft, then slowly move closer to the screen, my eyes will accept the stereo effect a little easier/quicker. :freak3:

The 3D effect is pretty pronounced on that Pic of Jessie nearest the camera.

I think you are right, we may have to get a bit closer to the lens next time....

maybe carve by as a group so there are more objects spaced out into the

distance to increase the 3D depth effect.

carving as a group would be cool. i keep thinking of how to compose a better shot. be kinda cool to get you (karl) doing your jump with someone uphill and in frame. i started looking at the some of the other pictures i took and i realized that the cameras were out of sync. not able to use them for 3d. i'll put them on ofoto.

some people will have a hard time "freeviewing" stereograms. i had to scale/crop/zoom the images to fit on bomber. i might not have things at optimal proportions. there's some freeware to create red/blue anaglyphs (where you wear the 3d glasses). i might try that when i get back.

cameras were out of sync. not able to use them for 3d

Out of sync? - Naww - that that just mean that you have to put

more horizontal space between the photos, and um...cross your

eyes harder.. :freak3:

I bet a shot from the chair might look kinda cool.. with the chair

and board tip in the foreground. Or a group photo..everybody all in a line.. taken from the profile.

Will be out again Sunday.

I used to draw stereogram doodles in highschool - little 3D knots and things - so I am super extra turbo used to looking at those. They look really cool! The cameras were pretty far apart, right? Makes them look like tiny little model people ;)

Thanks for sharing - bring your technology to the SES - would be pretty awesome to see a huge roostertail shot in 3D!

I used to draw stereogram doodles in highschool - little 3D knots and things - so I am super extra turbo used to looking at those. They look really cool! The cameras were pretty far apart, right? Makes them look like tiny little model people ;)

Thanks for sharing - bring your technology to the SES - would be pretty awesome to see a huge roostertail shot in 3D!

the cameras were about 6.25 to 6.5 inches apart. i have two canon film SLRs. i wish i could mount the lenses closer like this example but the tripod mount is off center. they say that the distance from the camera to the subject should be at minimum 30x the lens seperation. that would put it at about 16 feet. kinda hard to see whats going on with hands, legs, board at that distance. i think taking shots when the subject is close looks pretty cool.

Yeah, they do look really cool when the subject is close. Like looking at an extremely intricate miniature diorama. Everything is super 3D.

Post more when you get a chance! I want to see a 3D roostertail going from BG to FG, kinda like:

4622.jpg

:D

The wierdest part is the 3d image is crisper and clearer than either of the origional photos. At 5ft away from the screen, it looks like the pic is hangin in mid air...and it doesn't hurt the eyes so much.

J

Did you make them by ust taking the pictures from two different cameras, or did you have to use an editing software to alignand crop them?

The wierdest part is the 3d image is crisper and clearer than either of the origional photos.

Yeah, that works in "real life" too. i.e. when you go to the eye doctor the smallest line of letters you can read with both eyes open is smaller than you can read with either eye open by itself. It's especially weird when, like me, one of your eyes is significantly worse than the other. My left eye totally sucks and my right eye is OK, but both eyes open is still better than just the right eye by itself. Weird.

kjl - I can't even imagine the patience you must have trying

to DRAW a stereogram. That rocks!

I made an attempt at creating a 3D stereogram out of an

existing 2D image. It sorta worked..

I cut up an image of Bobble, and spaced out the layers in a 3D program.

Then simulated the two cameras placed at a 7 cm seperation, and rendered

out the 2 views. Also tossed in a 3D particle system to try

to get a "rooster tail" effect.

Th stereogram depth didn't work so well.. background might be too light in this case.. but you can appreciate the snow by flipping between the two images.

Just can't replace the real thing...

post-600-141842227687_thumb.gif

post-600-141842227689_thumb.jpg

I made an attempt at creating a 3D stereogram out of an

existing 2D image. It sorta worked..

I cut up an image of Bobble, and spaced out the layers in a 3D program.

Then simulated the two cameras placed at a 7 cm seperation, and rendered

out the 2 views. Also tossed in a 3D particle system to try

to get a "rooster tail" effect.

Th stereogram depth didn't work so well.. background might be too light in this case.. but you can appreciate the snow by flipping between the two images.

Just can't replace the real thing...

karl, you have cool toys. all i got is paint shop pro and poor man's version of autocad.

i have this booklet on how to draw 3d images. it was sort of the rage for awhile. the author, fritz waack, tried to show how easy it was to create 3d images by using a programmable calculator, the old texas instruments TI 57.

the steps are painful to follow but i think with todays CAD tools it would be fairly easy -- nothing to really calculate.

Hey, a fellow Lightwave guy ;) I switched over to Modo for modeling but I still render in Lightwave.

It's actually pretty easy to draw stereogram doodles, like trefoil knots and braids. You just draw one and then lightly draw the same thing a little over to the right, and then go over it again nudging everything that's supposed to be in front. I just did this one in a few minutes - it doesn't work very well since I'm out of practice, but you can probably see that if you had to sit through European History classes or whatever 3 days a week that it probably wouldn't be that hard to get good at them :D

post-20-141842227721_thumb.jpg

this one has a sync problem. the right camera didn't fire at the same moment. when your eyes converge on pat, matt in the background appears as double.

not sure why this happend. it's till a cool shot, i just wish the cameras were in sync.

post-1112-141842228155_thumb.jpg

this one has a sync problem. the right camera didn't fire at the same moment. when your eyes converge on pat, matt in the background appears as double.

not sure why this happend. it's till a cool shot, i just wish the cameras were in sync.

that one looks fine to me, he's in 3d when I look at him but I can't get both in3d at the same time. 'sthat what you were talking about?

J