Note to New Members ×

Icy streets and cars fight it out. Street wins

C5 Golfer

Wow. Is it because of no winter tires or just the ice (plus it seems like it was in a slope)? Maybe a Zamboni could have driven on this.

My guess looking at the video is that after the first colision, the drivers foot slipped off the brake and hit the gas, you can see the car accelerate and tires spin as it does the intersection and hit the wall. I think the gas pedal was all the way to the floor.

A couple of thoughts:

-no snow tire is really a snow tire without studs

-no matter AWD or 2WD, without TRUE snow tires (and with an average driver behind the steering wheel), on icy hill you're f@#$d!!!

Plus really bad driving skills... 99.99% of people in case of emergency or if they're loosing control are slamming on the brakes... I've learned the hard way what no to do in these conditions ... :cool: And something i've noticed during any major snow fall - people are stupid... They just don't get it and continue to drive as if they were driving on asphalt...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

physics should be a required course and some people should have to take it twice!

:smashfrea :smashfrea :smashfrea :smashfrea :smashfrea :smashfrea

Don't think it would help Dr D.

On this day I believe the smart people stayed home because it was obviously to slick to drive, then the stupid people who think 4WD gives them added braking power believe they can still get to work to earn that mighty dollar. These same people have heard the steer in the direction of the slide theory and to them that means steer in the direction the front end is going but when they should be steering in the direction the rear end is going but if you try to explain this to them they have a "deer in the headlights" look.

I hope no one was injured.....

I thank the Big Guy Above for not having these conditions here in Australia... at my doorstep.

Imagine the sheer panic of being the driver completely out of contol at a slow speed just sliding..

As for the guy with the foot on the gas... maybe he thought that he could control it more by muscling the car into submission...

Just quietly... I would have stayed at home.....

When I drive on snow/ice here in our snow fields I always have chains and I absolutely crawl... less than 25km/h...

I once drove a minivan (toyota tarago) with a trailer in very poor conditions and we were doing 5km/h using the handbrake to help turn corners...

After doing 3 advanced driving courses i improvised... got all my passengers home safely.. without a mark on the car...... or anyone elses for that matter..

Wouldn't do that again in a hurry...

• 3 weeks later...

My roommate once thought the best thing to do if the brakes weren't stopping you is to put it in reverse and gun it. Needless to say, he spun around like nobodys business.

If cars are gaining speed going sideways then it's slippery. People shouldn't have been out there at all. And the one gunning it... He should be shot for causing so much idiotic destruction.