Note to New Members ×

Lake Louise Having Best Ski Season Ever

Pat Donnelly

From FirstTracksOnLine

Lake Louise (AB), Canada - Lake Louise Mountain Resort has received more snow, generated a deeper snowpack, and opened more terrain earlier than any previous year on record, making 2006-07 the best ski and snowboard season to date at the Alberta resort.

The resort surpassed the three-meter (10-foot) mark for accumulated snowfall on January 6th, which is the earliest in 38 years of record keeping. This was two days ahead of the epic season of 1998-99, which had previously been the benchmark ‘best snow year’…until this year.

As of January 10, Lake Louise has had 3.28 meters (11 feet) of accumulated snowfall, as measured at the treeline, which is 168% above average for this time of year. The resort received 20cm (eight inches) overnight Tuesday night and 44cm (17 inches) in the past week. All lifts and 139 of 139 runs are open for skiing and snowboarding.

Says Matt Mosteller, Senior Director of Business Development for parent company Resorts of the Canadian Rockies, “The conditions have been terrific since our opening day in November, but the continued record snowfall has taken the Lake Louise experience to a whole new level. People are enjoying some of the best ski days of their life right now.”

“I’ve been snowboarding for 10 years and have traveled around the world looking for the Ultimate Ride. The snow at Lake Louise blew my mind and is by far some of the best I’ve experienced," said Daniel Hobachi, visiting from Toronto on Tuesday.

I'd kind of given up on Louise because of the the nasty road conditions between Sunshine and Louise, the crowds, the interminable ticket lines, the ****ty grooming, and the crappy icy conditions on the front side where all the good carving is ...

Maybe I should make an effort to get out there this season. It's just so much easier to go to Sunshine.

when I was in Crested Butte for a season I met two really cool Canucks from the LL area. Lisa and...god...can't remember the other one's name...they were SO much fun! (in a platonic way unfortunately. I had a girlfriend at the time)

meant to get up there and visit...but didnt.

my headstone will read "shoulda, woulda, coulda"

:(

I'd kind of given up on Louise because of the the nasty road conditions between Sunshine and Louise, the crowds, the interminable ticket lines, the ****ty grooming, and the crappy icy conditions on the front side where all the good carving is ....
You just have to know how to work it. Get there early, head for the backside when the chairs open. When Larch/Ptarmigan gets crowded and you're warmed up (around 10:30, 11), move to Paradise. Around 2 when all the tourists have made their way to the backside, move back to the front and run some laps on the groomers. Works out pretty good.

I've managed to make it to Louise twice this year, and it's been some awesome riding...was going to go this weekend, but I think we're going to hit Sunshine instead (I haven't been there in a few years). Unfortunately I somehow broke the back heelside edge off my new Prior and it started to delam, so I had to send it back for repairs. I guess I'll be freeriding or maybe I'll take out my old Factory Prime and try it out...:angryfire

greg