Note to New Members ×

Tell me what to do (And be nice about it)!

Guest Taiga

Okay,

I am heading to Vail leaving this weekend and I can only take one board. I will be there for a full week and can't decide. Which do I take:

1. Donek Axxess 172 (hard boot)

2. Palmer Carbon Circle 162 (softboot)

All I ride in Michigan is Doneks (Axxes and FCII), but then we don't get much powder.

At 9pm EST I will tally the recommendations and go with it. Then when I get back I will transmit a full report. Now that is Democracy in action! Make your vote count.

Madman in Michigan

Vail= Donek- Lots of wide groomers to open it up on.It'll handle the backside bowls as well. when in doubt...go hard !

Have a blast, sounds like it'll be a good trip report.

Check out the Beav, too, if you can.

VINCENT

Give me three hundred worth of the

madman. If it's as good as you say,

I'll be back for a thousand.

Unless the forecast (realizing in the mountains it can change pretty quick) calls for lot's of pow pow I'd take the Donek. Also, if all you're going to do is ride in the trees, park, or do some out of bounds riding a soft set up would be better in my opinion. If you're going to spend most of the time on the normal blues/blacks, etc. with an occasional trip in the woods...take the Donek. Definitely check out Beaver Creek when you're out there...

I think it is bogus that you can only take one board! :( In just about any board-sack you should be able to pull the binding(s) and fit another board. Last season I flew to Park City with 1 pair skis and 3 boards. :biggthump

Having said that... take the Donek and hardboots then rent, borrow (or steal :eek: ) a softie.

(Flame suit on!)

I would go soft...... HAVE YOU SEEN THE PARK?????????

If they didn't have powder, you would not get me out of there (I don't do rails).

Seriously, you would have to ask your self what YOU would be doing. I know when I go out west I SEARCH out powder, since we have NONE in MN, it is all I want to ride. I look high and low, around cliffs and in the trees..... After that I just ride as much terrain (not the park) as I can. My softie setup is what I would choose.

If you would "just" be cruising down the hill then the hardboot setup would be key.

I think Allee has a good point with the rental though, go hard and if you would rather be soft, rent.

I lot of help I am, huh?

• 2 weeks later...
Okay,

I am heading to Vail leaving this weekend and I can only take one board. I will be there for a full week and can't decide.

Madman in Michigan- trip report ? so how was it ??

I heard they had some lift issues:

On Sat. both the Tea Cup chair and the 17 chair were breaking down all afternoon, for half an hour at a time, causing massive jams at that poorly planned pinchpoint between the two lift mazes. There were hundreds of people down there trapped with nowhere to go - lift lines going all the way back up across the bridge there and the catwalk. Some people turned back and hiked back to Orient Express lift, a mile away.

Did you happen to see DefJef kookin' it up ?

post-123-141842227177_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842227179_thumb.jpg

So here is the report on the week in Vail/Beaver Creek.

Day 1. 22 inches of powder at Beaver Creek. Rode the Donek Axis and got trashed in the crud. Had fun though and kept up with a group of 5 skiers all day.

Day 2. Rode the Skiis at Vail so I could keep up with the other skiers without getting wasted.

Day 3. Rented a softie and spent an excellent day at Vail open to close.

Day 4-6 Skiis only just to be compatible with my buds.

I would have rode the hardboots more if I was alone.

Rule 1: Pay the extra to take both hard and soft boot setups. Cost for rental of "custom" equipment at Vail is about $70 at the base. Extra luggage fee with NWA is about $80 and it is your own stuff (better than "Vail Custom").

Rule 2. Don't try to chase skiers on a snowboard, especially through the backbowls of Vail (long entry traverse), especially if you are an old guy with a reconstructed ACL.

Rule 3. Try to go on a trip with someone who snowboards so you have someone to ride with.

Good News: Next Trip will be to Big Sky with a group of 12. There will be two snow boarders on this trip.

Bad News (maybe): I just received notice that my job with Pfizer will be terminated sometime this year. Is this bad news or an opportunity?

Madman Out