Note to New Members ×

PNW gets hit again

C5 Golfer

Nasty weather right at the commute home time, glad I was home by 4. It snowed so heavy that the commute was at a standstill by 6 pm. Roads turned to ice and cars abandoned everywhere. What a frigggen mess again. For most part it did not matter if you had AWD, 4X4, FWD or RWD - or chains -- the roads were too full of cars that you couldn't go anywhere. Tempers flared but no shots fired as far as I know. Body shops will do well and they were already backed up with too much work from the previous strom.

I wondered why while watching some going up the hill close to my house that if they couldn't get up the 10 deg slope why they continued because it goes to 20 deg slope further up.

Grid lock almost everywhere - I am sure some had to sleep in their cars.

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_011007WABsnowstorm_wedLJ.272a0696.html

It was the worst blizzard in 50 years here in Saskatoon yesterday. Complete whiteout - couldn't see much past the end of your hood most of the time. Winds up to 90 kph, 25 cm of snow. Two people died when they tried to walk for help on one of the nearby reserves.

It was storm conditions throughout much of Western Canada, same one as in the PNW I think. Environment Canada said "if we had to give an award for the worst weather, it would go to Saskatoon".

Pleased you got home in one piece. Not a good night to be out.

Just a skiff of snow here and pretty cold, but it's going to pass through quick.

Edmonton and Northern Alberta got pounded, as did further south - we must have been in the eye of the storm ...

Some top notch snow in the BC hills by the sound of things! Whistler must be rocking!

Pleased you got home in one piece. Not a good night to be out.

Just a skiff of snow here and pretty cold, but it's going to pass through quick.

Edmonton and Northern Alberta got pounded, as did further south - we must have been in the eye of the storm ...

Some top notch snow in the BC hills by the sound of things! Whistler must be rocking!

Whistler is -15 C to -19 C in the Alpine. Damn Cold

-15 to -19 isn't that cold. It was -27 at Sunshine this morning. If it was bluebird and calm I'd go out in -19 and thoroughly enjoy it - wind chill is another matter though.

It looks like the other half and I are off to Panorama for the weekend. I'll have to take some extra layers and some sticky foot warmers ... thank God I got new goggles and they don't fog up when I have my Hannibal mask on. At least we can hit the hot pools and the sauna afterwards to warm up!

Just to confirm y'all are talking -15C to -19C right if so than I don't think that's too cold. Hell I rode my motorcycle to work this AM and it was -6C and I was toasty though the ice on the road gave me a bit of pause. I will admit that I have a speed limit of 50mph/90kph at that temp...My tires don't grip that well and wind chill exceeds my warmth faster than that.

Since we were talking about seattle and montana its safe to assume that the temps quoted were in F not C. That said 30F - 40F below zero is not ideal carving weather on any planet:biggthump -19C is a normal winter but thats considerably warmer than -19F, no?

anyway we should probably qualify temps with F or C given the "mixed company":smashfrea