Note to New Members ×

size 12.5 feet, need something wide

Crashtopher

Hey gang,

After riding my ancient Asym Alp 171 last week and realizing that it has about as much "pop" as a wet noodle, I have come to realize it's time for a new board.

I've been looking at the sticks availiable on the Bomber site and all of them have a pretty narrow waist width, meaning I'll have to run rather steep binding angles (like 60 plus degrees).

So, I offer up the two following questions:

Anyone know of a good carving board designed for us guys with bigger feet?

Anyone know if I can demo carving boards anywhere in New England?

My stats:

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 230

Terrain: New England (so everything from Jay Peak waist deep pow to Loon mountain ice so clear you can see the grass through it)

Style: I've been riding hard boots for a long time, (starting w/ a Kemper Bullet, Emery PLate Bindings and Raichle Damian Sanders hardboots). I like to carve at medium speeds on well groomed trails. I have an Arbor 169 Element that I use for everyday riding, pulling the carving board out when conditions are optimal.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Have a good one.

Hi, I too have size 12ers and have a really hard time riding 18 cm waist width boards. I have become comfortable with Priors stock waist 19.5 cm but I still run pretty steep angles. Sword makes a pretty wide waist but other than the SES or perhaps the ECES I'm not sure where you could demo one.

Yeah, I've read about the Swoard but I am under the impression that it is a "one-trick pony", ie it is good at low speed laid out carves, but not as good at speed. I do ride fast sometimes, so that stability means a lot to me.

If any Swoard riders can reassure me that their boards are pretty stable at all speeds, I'm up for giving one a shot (though I'm not sure how I'll do it).

Not Swoard but once i've ridden a Swoard-like custom board. For my small feet it was a bit wide (needed 45 degree stance) and slow edge-to-edge but I'm used to ride with 18 cm boards. That wide board was very good at any type of carving but because of width definitely not good for racing. I don't characterise it as a low speed carver, found it fast, stable and forgiving.

If you cannot find a wide enough factory board go for customs.

Hi,

I ride in New England and have a Volkl Cross 167 with a 25cm waist -- works perfect with my Mondo 30 feet at 50/45. Madd makes a really nice BX board too with 23cm waist. My Volkl Carves really well, including ice, and with softer hard boots it will take me anywhere on the mountain.

Michael

Hey gang,

Anyone know of a good carving board designed for us guys with bigger feet?

Anyone know if I can demo carving boards anywhere in New England?

My stats:

Height: 6'3"

Weight: 230

Terrain: New England (so everything from Jay Peak waist deep pow to Loon mountain ice so clear you can see the grass through it)

Style: I've been riding hard boots for a long time, (starting w/ a Kemper Bullet, Emery PLate Bindings and Raichle Damian Sanders hardboots). I like to carve at medium speeds on well groomed trails. I have an Arbor 169 Element that I use for everyday riding, pulling the carving board out when conditions are optimal.

I appreciate any and all feedback. Have a good one.

I may suggest a Prior 4WD 179 or 174 found here at http://www.priorsnowboards.com/boards_4wd.php

It is a 21 waist and plows, carves, rides, drives, slides, shimmy, destroys courduroy and etc . I am also 6'3" and 215 with size 12 feet. But also the 19.5 waist square tails like Prior's WCR or Volkl RT or Hot Blast 178, they also work quite well. All of the above will not beat you up and are rider friendly - I have each one of them.

I have size 13 US feet, (31 mondo) and I ride a prior 4WD with 63/60 angles (the lowest I can go without much overhang).

With this setup I've painted the groomers, steeps, ice, mush, and even powder. Granted getting used to powder with those angles took a little bit of questioning around the board.

I just (it was delivered not 20 minutes ago!) got a brand-new 162 Malolo off of Yahoo Japan Auctions for $360, so I'll let you know how this feels (if you can wait) with hard boots and plate bindings.

The Blade is Donek's board designed for laid-out carving, so it's got a little longer sidecut than typical. The 170 has a 12.25 m sidecut, so it's going to be quite a bit less turny than your Alp. If you're happy with that, goferit.

Another option is to pick one of Sean's many already done customs. He's already got the templates, so you don't pay extra. For example, the 170 Peterson FC has a 23.5 cm waist and a 10 m sidecut, might be very nice for what you like to do. The specs for all the available boards are here.