Note to New Members ×

Tips to get me off the Toilet

RDY_2_Carve

Yes Mike it's one of Lynn's boards. I'm 5'6" and 165lbs (she's 5'7" and 155lbs). It's got superboard, 180mm waist, 13m SCR, and stiffness index is 5.8. The only reason I bought it was our similiar size/weight and I prefer skinny boards as well (don't mind the 60deg angles).

You could be right though...when I actually had somebody in NM to carve with the guy let me ride his Madd 170 and he said I rode better on that deck than anything he had seen so far. I tried a Madd 180 at SES and I sucked hardcore on it.

Sounds awesome. I just see so many similarities between your riding now (and at SES) and mine 2 - 3 years ago, and think that what helped me will help you too. If I remember when you joined BOL right, means you are progressing faster than I did :biggthump

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and go fast

What a suggestion... There's no worse way to get out of a carve if you are not a good carver than going too fast.

Maybe you can go so fast if you've got a 15m radius board/strong legs/good technique. But with a slalom board you cannot go simply "fast": you have to "move yourself quickly", not "going fast".

:-\

Edit: Kent I forgot to ask you about the stance width. You mentioned in your first reply about me using the wide stance and having to ride more aggressive. So should I try to narrow my stance some since I'm not a super-dynamic rider? Also do you think I could benefit from adding more cant/lift? These new F2's have lots of adjustiblity (compared to the TD1's) and I haven't played with them at all (stock setup was like riding 3/3 I believe).

Too tough of question to answer on a message board. Are you going to SES? I'd start FLAT and then make adjustments as needed. Too many people start with a monkey set-up only to complicate it further with adjustments. Width is driven by board length (characteristics), body type/size, bindings, boots, cant needed, etc. But, assuming you need to start somewhere and you're b/w 5'9" and 6'1", perhaps 19.5 to 19.75....although I really don't feel comfortable throwing out those numbers w/o knowing more info.

To get back to your "style", I'd recommend tossing on the board in your living room and doing some work. Clamp in, rock back and forth, get used to hanging out on the board. After 5 mins of that, "twist" your board (front toe down / rear toe up) and get used to being able the work the work. Next, bent your ankles, knees and hips. If you can't bend without tipping over, there's a disconnect b/w your power and your balance. Keep working on it. Get low....try to emmulate the stance you would like to ride. Yep...you'll look like a complete dork, but it works. Visualize and then hit the slope to execute. I think what you'll learn in the living room is:

1) rear foot bend is VERY important

2) front foot balance is key

3) hip flexibility is important

Another drill is to slight edge your board (in your living room). On your heelsides, I'm guess you'll sit in the toliet again. Don't despair.....push your front lower leg to the "10:00" position and keeping pushing in order for it to edge. You need to drive toward 10:00 with your hips/lower leg rather than twisting couter in order to set the edge.

I really think you'll understand why you have a problem once you clamp in on the carpet and try the edge your board.....

Willy, my apologies for the rude tone. Can you tell I haven't ridden yet this season? However, everything I know about snowboarding tells me the last thing he needs to do is go any faster.

Rob, I searched on "utter nonsense", and found the post. That comment was intended for CASI, not you, but I see how it may have come across that way. I still think setting up never-evers duck is ridiculous. Someone made the point that being able to ride switch is a necessity in freestyle snowboarding - true, but first you have to learn how to turn (much to the surprise of any park rats reading this), and a duck stance doesn't help that at all.

What a suggestion... There's no worse way to get out of a carve if you are not a good carver than going too fast.

Maybe you can go so fast if you've got a 15m radius board/strong legs/good technique. But with a slalom board you cannot go simply "fast": you have to "move yourself quickly", not "going fast".

:-\

OK, group hug and let's move on.

I went back and looked at the video from Angel Fire again and I really don't see a novice carver here.The turns looks basically decent but I really think he needs to "kick it up a notch".

Those aren't little slalom turns, they're slow GS turns on a hill that won't get you out of 2nd gear unless you head down the fall line a bit more.If you're confident on a softie setup, then that Donek should be real friendly to cross over too.

post-123-141842224994_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842224994_thumb.jpg

I went back and looked at the video from Angel Fire again and I really don't see a novice carver here.

Sorry, but I do. Advanced novice.

There's definitely potential though. There's almost no wasted motion, and a sense of grace. And I've seen plenty of people who should just stick to softies. Or skis.

take a quick look at the bunny buster vids of JG. Imagine these turns in your head and add a squirt of adrenaline and it just might take things to the next level :rolleyes:

http://www.wendychao.com/ski/easter/

where's that Sunapee vid of JG that Bob Lawliss shot ?

it's another good example.

EDIT: OK, an even better example (thanks T)

Buggs kickin' it at the Butte. Nothing crazy, just charging it a bit more. Here's more BAD advice, maybe try breaking the edge loose a little and slide it surfy(esp on the heelsides) it'll feel more like your softie ride.

Again, not professional advice, just what works for me.

:eplus2: that video just gets me so amped to ride :D

EDITEDIT: just be careful, crashing hard sucks

• 2 weeks later...

you have to "throw it down"

like throw yourself down INTO the snow to get aggressive...yet carve to catch yourself just BEFORE you hit to make maximum edge pressure. you shouldn't have to touch the snow.

Don't let just gravity propoel you... use the loaded board flex and huck yourself into it...almost like front flip... you have to hurtle yorself down.. and the steeper the more agressive and committed..and cooler it feels. ...and don't just '''lean" like i do in that super bunny vid...instead huck yorself towards a spot to the side of your board and slightly in front of your front binding. as if you are high diving into that tiny spot.

________

Suzuki Gt750 History