Note to New Members ×

[technique] Troublesome heelsides

kjl

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is he, then? World Cup champion?

Are you telling me that he would hold on is this position, on the front foot like that, rotated like my neck at Hooters, on ice?

Well he might, but not as well as if he was lined up, like in the Jasey shot. Look at the snow he's on, it's mellow! With the exception of the level arms, he pretty much looks like Kjl.

If the guy in the pic asked you how he could keep more pressure on the tail, what you tell him?

Rob, I believe your post under mine is referring to Ken....?

I've ridden with Mr. Unmentionable a number of times. I've also ridden with current and former World Cup riders. He's not even in the same class as they are ability wise to react to different conditions. If you think so, you are just kidding yourself.

Well, I've never ridden with any world class guys on any dicey conditions, so... *shrug*. I used to think he was a big baby for riding Flatton, but then I saw him on the icy steeps of Sugarloaf and he stomped them. I wish he wouldn't bend over so much, but whatever he does works for him.

If fact, the most frustrating part of riding with Mr. Unmentionable is waiting for him to take all his breather breaks. Smoking just ain't good for ones lung capacity...

ha, true dat.

I hate it when the knowledgeable people bail. I know it's hard to take when your knowledge gets equal post time with someone's uninformed opinion, but that's just the internet. The way I see it, if the knowledgeable guys are willing to keep throwing the good info out there, some of it sticks. Those of us who've been around a while sure appreciate it.

Bordys gone (look it up and see why, though I dig the guy). Philfell is still here dispensing knowledge, but he seems frustrated too. Apparently, this forum is viewed by many to be a "love-fest-super-bro-down" only and his "on the nose" approach is best suited to athletes who he can tie to the bumper and drag through the parking lot if they back-sass him.

Virtual living is like prison. You get all kinds in here who shouldn't be together and some get shanked while others do the shanking.

Nicotine, care to weigh in on this ??

If fact, the most frustrating part of riding with Mr. Unmentionable is waiting for him to take all his breather breaks. Smoking just ain't good for ones lung capacity... :lol: really ?,any data to prove this ?

best suited to athletes who he can tie to the bumper and drag through the parking lot...on a treadmill

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1711802

Virtual living is like prison. You get all kinds in here who shouldn't be together and some get shanked while others do the shanking.

Arguing on the internet is like playing in the special olympics... You might win, but you're still a retard...

Gah, you bastards and your threadjacking! You should know better than to post that picture, Jack ;)

Anyways, I got out on the snow and changed two things, though I am still feeling early-season desk-jockey jitters:

1: driving back knee into the snow on the heelside.

2: lifting that front (left) hand and, not so much reaching, but thinking about maybe possibly putting the right hand on my left knee.

1: I found it not as straightforward as I thought it would be to press the back knee towards the heel edge. It's like: Just like I can't push against a wall with my hand without also pushing back against the floor with my feet, I couldn't manufacture a force pushing the back boot towards the snow without an equal and opposite force somewhere. I ended up pushing my back knee by squeezing my knees together (not trying to touch them - just using the Thighmaster muscles), instead of pushing both knees to the snow. In any case, it seemed to work just fine. I was initiating my turn by driving the front knee into the snow and putting all my weight on the front foot, and then finishing by thighmastering my knees inwards and letting the weight shift back to center.

2: Lifting the left hand was easy until it got bumpy and soft and then the old habits kicked in again.

In any case, the heelside was significantly improved (to the point of being more reliable than the toeside in some cases). In particular, it is nice being able to put weight on the front or the rear of the board on the heelside turn and not be forced into putting it only on the front, which helped both in the vesatility of the radius of the turn and in being able to deal with softer lumps of snow later in the day. Also, loading up the tail and ollieing into a toeside carve is fun ;)

So thanks so much for everybody's help! Now I just need to get my legs and my rhythm back so I can get it in my subconscious.

KJ,

Agree with changes recommended, and would add:

Notice the impact of your ankles moving/pressuring inside your boots. On heel-side, to take that turn from a 20 meter radius to a 10 meter radius, try to really pressure your ankles against the "heel-side" of the boot. This goes along with moving the knee that direction.