Note to New Members ×

This is carving hard??

AaronG

The local hill here posts pictures of people riding the mtn, the caption on this one said, "Carving Hard". I would like to go up there and show the photographer or whoever captions the photos what carving hard is by example. What a joke!! I'm not claiming to be an expert carver but I know I can lay down better carves than this guy.

ss_galleryb6.jpg

Yes, the photo is from Snow Summit. I kind of laughed when I saw the pic and the caption.

Ona nother note, I went to Summit for a night session tonight, Saturday, the snow was of outstanding quality as long as you stayed to the sides of the runs, I was not on a carving board but on my carving skis, the ski boots felt like slippers on my feet compared to the Burton Winds I ride in. My recent ankle injury couldn't take the abuse from the Burton boots.

I did meet another couple up there on carving boards and rode with them most of the evening. Hopefully we will see them here on the message board in the not too distant future.

i went up to summit on tuesday, the conditions were so so IMO. snow was kind of granular. it was kind of hard for me to do "C" carves or is it "U," to control my speed on that snow. for my 5 days out so far, i'd say i prefered the grooming and snow at mt. high, but preferred the length of the runs at summit. i ended up spraining my ankle at summit too :cool:. i'm sure i'll be back though, since i still had a lot of fun.

after about 5 days of riding, my boots packed out a bit and the fit wasn't as great. i ate while on my toe side and kind of messed up my ankle too. it's feeling a lot better now, but i decided to take the rest of this week off and really let it heal up. i don't want to put myself out for the rest of the season by injuring it more.

on an up note, i went back to the surefoot in santa monica and they re-fitted my boots for free (awesome service). they added a bunch of padding and really tightened up my heel. they also put more padding around my ankles and lower calf to make up for my lack in volume.

Neil: i'd agree with you on that one. i went up with a buddy recently and he said i was turning a few heads (some - not a lot) carving down at one of the other local mts. it just goes to show you how ignorant the masses here are about carving on a snowboard seeing as how i've only logged 5 days on hardboots so far (i.e. i know i still suck).

i ate while on my toe side and kind of messed up my ankle too. it's feeling a lot better now, but i decided to take the rest of this week off and really let it heal up. i don't want to put myself out for the rest of the season by injuring it more.

Bullwings,

go to an osteopath and have an mri done immediately, this may be far more than a simple sprain, especially if the inside of your ankle is very tender. I have done this and did not go to a docter and now have very limited movement. P.m skatha about this particular injury, she has had to have surgery on her ankle because of this. Not trying to be alarmist, but do not mess around with this.

mario

Bullwings,

go to an osteopath and have an mri done immediately, this may be far more than a simple sprain, especially if the inside of your ankle is very tender. I have done this and did not go to a docter and now have very limited movement. P.m skatha about this particular injury, she has had to have surgery on her ankle because of this. Not trying to be alarmist, but do not mess around with this.

mario

my brother is an osteopathic dr. and my sister is in her 3rd year of DO school. i had both of them look at it (granted, no x-ray or MRI) and they said it was fine. in fact, the thing hardly even swelled up, and the pain has been on the outer side. i've just been using an air-cast and icing it regularly, and taking 600mg of motrin 3x a day.

i'll probably pm skatha for some details anyway, just to make sure and be on the safe side. thanks for the heads up and looking out for your fellow carver :biggthump

DAve, I saw that picture also. If you are carving hard on snow skis there should be a double track behind the skier. I'm not seeing them in this pic. Granted I cannot see the previous turn or the turn that is happening now but looking at his skis and the lack of reverse camber in the downhill ski I can only assume that there isn't much "carving hard" going on here either. At Summit last night I could ride back up the chair and see my double tracks coming down the last section of miracle mile. I knew that those were my tracks as I didn't see anyone else carving on skis last night, just a bunch of skidders.

snowboard tracks are a lot easier for me to spot, since you can find where they carve up hill.

that's the one thing that really lets me know that i'm carving sometimes since i know you can't go back up hill if you're skidding.

do skiers ever carve up hill? seems like the SCR wouldn't be suited to it, and it doesn't seem like it would work like it does on a snowboard.

Joe, I was not at Summit on Friday, I only went for last night. I live in Redlands, right at the bottom of the mtn on Hwy 330 and it took 2 hours to get to Summit. I knew I should've taken Hwy 38. I am planning on going up a week from Tuesday, that is when the holiday period ends for Summit.

ovr

OMG, I just saw the pic of Chris Riddle dressed as a snowflake, when I get up there I am definitely going to stop in and say Hello and give him some sh*t for dressing like a snowflake. Chris is the director of marketing at Snow Summit, I will also mention the carving hard photos!!