Note to New Members ×

Dearth of hardbooters at Telluride

patmoore

Just got back from a glorious week at Telluride but was disturbed by the fact that I was the only hardbooter on the whole mountain. Seven days there and I never saw anyone else. We're hardly in the majority back east but I usually run into one or two at Okemo. I spent a lot of time on chairlifts explaining what the gear was all about. Conditions were great out there. Hated to come home...

Pat

Hi,

Glad to hear you had a good time at my ex-home hill. I started hard booting carving there 12 years ago and taught hardbooting for the ski school and sold F2 and Raichle equipment out of my little shop at the base of Coonskin. It caught on slightly with about 5 of us. I left and moved to the Aspen area where it truly is hard boot heaven and there are a lot of us. I left behind some good friends that I know still ride there. One of the cat drivers, Steve, on the hill is from back east and rides when he can and he truly can rip the bumps there with ease in his hard boots. He isn't out every day so you probably missed him but when he is he mostly concentrates on the bumps. Also my good friend David Glynn is an avid carver in Telluride and is out nearly everyday BUT he took a bad crash there this year on the race course and tore himself up pretty good. Last I knew he was still laid up.

I haven't been back for quite some time because the Aspen area is just to damn good to leave. But I miss Bushwacker when groomed as it is one of the steepest groomers I've carved on. Then the long Seeforever trail from top to bottom was always a great lunch run. Now I heard that they groom Milk Run which must be fantastic for carving when the conditions are right (it does get a lot of sun).

Well so what was really fun there now?? The memories are coming back!!

Joel

Bushwacker was a real treat! It's billed as America's longest groomed cruiser. There isn't a bad trail on the mountain. The town is wonderful and quirky too. A local woman told me all about the summer festivals, art, music, and even mushroom! I said "Cool, I'm a 'fun guy'...."

The NASTAR course is challenging, steeper than most and they set it up pretty "turny". I found the mountain personnel professional and genuinely friendly. We went as a large group (71 on a ski club trip) and everyone gave the place a ringing endorsement.

Ja, so would you rectum mend dis resort to da carver for 7 days? Im considering returning back to da main land and ride in da states next year for my week long vacation?

To hell you ride!

Give me da skinny on whats groomed , how much? is it wide, croweded ect. is it ski in ski out , where to stay ect.

Im looking for something different, anyone have other suggestions for out west. something good mit groom but not crowded, no need to night life I'll make my own!

Anyone? eye have been to Sun Valley, Big Mountain, so what should be next?

Right said Shred

Shred,

this is biased, but I did live in Telluride for 15 years and I left because the carving is better by leaps and bounds in the Aspen area. Telluride is not carving heaven. It can be good but not great.

If I had 7 days and wanted the best carving Colorado can offer each day, I would stay for ski in and ski out in Snowmass. You can look at all four mtns grooming report in the morning and go to the one you like best for that days board. And as always Buttermilk is groomed for ripping long boards. Snowmass can either have a great long board day or shorter board day if you prefer. Weekdays are always quiet on all of the mtns. My fav. is Buttermilk with Snowmass and Highlands next. I stay away from Aspen proper. Buttermilk has a great group of local carvers and someone is always out and about to hook up with.

Telluride can have good carving days but I am not so certaim about 7 days in a row. My friends who still live there tell me to let them know I am coming so they can get a feeling from the grooming crew what is planned for the week before I show up and get disapointed.

It's a fun place but I wouldn't plan on 7 days of good carving there but I would plan on finding 7 exceptional days at the Aspen mtns.

Joel

PS: I'm very spoiled here. Any questions just ask.

I kinda wanted to go off the beaten path that is a secreat spot! Like Big Mountain Mt. when you can see, the grooming and the width of the runs are awesome, still the best I have been on, if you factor in everything, crowds , wide trails, always snow, soft groom usually. cons: visibility, visibility, visibility!

Im leaning away from Aspen cause of shear number of peaple and the exspense of Snowmass when I tried to put a package together found I could go to western canada twice for the price of snowmass for a week. did I say I hate crowds!

But yea, I know that Mass and Butter are gems? are there any other secret spots? Purgatory? Steamboat? dunno?

Anything in Utah?

Tahoe?

Maybe I should just try it for one year! Hell its something new! Maybe the SES next year!

Thanks for the repy! I love this site, no one ever replies from those other ones, I won't mention them cause I don't want to piss off those EC guys who never answer I guess the members don't ride anywhere? hmmmmmm!

Shred:)

Yeah, It has gotten ridicously expensive to stay on the mtn in the Aspen area. But that has its +'s too. Believe me there are no crowds anymore (excpet during Xgames...stay away!!!). Look at the PureBoarding web site photos from there present visit. You'll see no one but them in their photos. January and February are slow months. Some guys come out here and park their butts in a hotel downvalley for a month or more and just hang on the hill everyday...lucky them.

Anyway the one place I've been wondering about is Schweitzer (sp?). the trail maps make it look like it has great potential. Ask about and see.

Good luck finding the hidden gem.

Joel

Europe! Nobody has come close to convince me the grooming is even as close to North America, Id be going to Europe for the fact that I gotta do it once.

But Snowmass has been in my sights for a while, and well now that I got a real job, $$$ don't matter, definitly ski in ski out is the way to go! Im almost there and looks good! I always like something new! Been to most of the Canadian resorts and most are good and no crowds and cheap, relative term!

Schweitzer, Sand Point Idaho! that one! you might as well drive 90 miles and your at big Mountain...Schwitz is no where near the size but a very nice place! It would be worth the trip but its not big, if you expect that!

Snowmass is now in the lead, I was thinking Flims Laax Falera in Switzerland is now Second and Sun Peaks Canada now third.

Thanks

Guest dragonfly jones

Oh shred.... your americanized ways of writing are showing through.... T-ride is fun, the race team down there is lead by John Jett good guy good riders and they do like to have a fun time.

The only issue is that place is so isolated that it is almost worth it to not even bother going down there.

But when you hit it right you are in for a real treat, real mountain real town and some fun terrain.

I am so confused better get off now.

Me again....

My one week in Telluride saw both extremes: perfect grooming and deep powder with bumps. I guess it depends on when you catch it.

We did a trip to Tahoe two years ago and tried Heavenly, Alpine Meadows, Squaw, and Kirkwood. Kirkwood was my favorite and crowds were kept to a minimum.

In Europe I was impressed with the grooming at Zermatt and neighboring Cervinia (accessible by cable car).

Heading for Vermont this weekend with anticipated high of -1 on Sunday and an overnight low of -21 with high winds. The wife wants to go cross country skiing......(a word of advice: If you're considering taking up cross country skiing, start with a small country)

Please excuse the large type. I'm elderly and can't see too well (also lose attention easily).

Shred - you could check with some of the local flat land ski clubs to see what they can offer.

www.skicleveland.com

These groups usually have decent prices.

I agree with you on Big Mtn - we did not see the sun peak through on the hill once during our six days.

Our current #1 destination is Aspen. Usually stay down valley as it is more affordable and more to do away from the tourists and rugrats. Typically we will rent a van or SUV to haul us and the gear - this combined cost (room and car) can be equal to or less than ski in/ski out. There is an area on the Tie Hack side of Buttermilk where you can park your car within 100 feet of the lift so we dubbed this lot as a drive in / ski out.

Note - Joel sent me a note saying the distance is more like 25 feet or less. Well, sometimes those darn walkers get going uphill at 8:00 a.m. and take the closests parking spots.

Lift tickets - best rate on this is with the SES.

I doubt that I would want to ride at Snowmass each and every day if we were to stay in the village. This means catching the bus early to get to the other mountains so you kind of lose the advantage, at least for those days you go to any of the other three Aspen areas. Snowmass can get crowded, well, after Buttermilk anywhere else seems crowded and/or congested. The milk may get less snow than other destinations but there is far less traffic riding it so it stays better longer.

Ok, ya got my intrest but is that the only run? There will be also a beginner with me maybe perhaps. how many others are there? is this a big place, night life nice lodging, I can't tell by there web site?

Give me your info on this place, I am still thinking Flims Laax is my best bet for ease and proximity and how big it is and vertually unkown and have desiganted carving slopes,

any one know about that place?

Thanks in advance Pokey!

Zinal

Very very small resort, no night life, no crowd.

One relative easy slope, three good ones, two seen in pics.

Soon there will be full picture gallery and films available, when EC boys are getting all pics and films from various sources :)

Best time to go there is with next EC session otherwise it is quite lonely place, i believe, we will make it again next year certainly