Note to New Members ×

Are Trench Digger 1s good for intermediate carvers?

kmagvette

Sure they look cool and strong, but I wonder if I would be buying equipment that is over my head. I am a bit tired of my boot flopping around in my SnowPro LTD's even though the bails are tight.

Not sure what the next board will be, but I an leaning towards a Renntiger 163SL or UltraPrime 162.

I'm at the point where I can carve moderate pitches without skidding, but nowhere close to getting elbow (on purpose).

Other binding suggestions are welcome.

Snow Pros are good bindings. I've got Snow Pro Race and TD2s. TD2 is "softer" than TD1. After riding Snow Pros and few other bindings I found TD2s to be very unforgiving (even with yellow rings). However, I addapted to TD2s and love them for hard pack. Snow Pros are better on variable snow and AM board. I stil can put my armpit on the snow with Snow Pros...

I changed to TD1's last season and love them. Huge difference in feel and power transmission through to the board compared to my old Oxygens. The stiffness takes a little bit to get used to, but you'll be glad you made the change, it makes a big difference to your carving.

TD1s are great bindings for any level of rider. Just be careful to inspect the bails to make sure they're not bent out of shape. Also, you might want to fashion some sort of gasket between the plate and the snowboard to prevent the plate edge from biting into the topsheet. I've used cut up inner tube but you can use any thin plastic, silicone or rubber material.

TD1s are great bindings for any level of rider. Just be careful to inspect the bails to make sure they're not bent out of shape. Also, you might want to fashion some sort of gasket between the plate and the snowboard to prevent the plate edge from biting into the topsheet. I've used cut up inner tube but you can use any thin plastic, silicone or rubber material.

I think you can still get the plastic TD-1 board protectors from Donek - they go between the cant disc and the deck and come with the longer screws you'll need.

You'll grow into them. Fast. My first day on a carving setup was on a Coiler 184PRII, Catek Olympics, and AF700s. The gear kicked my n00b ass all over the mountain, but by the end of the day I was starting to get it (A little bit...). As long as you're young and invincible, you'll be fine. Otherwise...well I have no other advice, that's just the way I went. Good luck with whatever you end up buying!

Thanks for the helpful responses, if I can work a decent deal on some I'll go that way.

... As long as you're young and invincible, you'll be fine. Otherwise...

How 'bout Old and Stupid. I'm 43. Two years ago I got my first snowboard, a Factory Prime 151 and rode with my Technica Icon (race) ski boots - probably not the best learning setup, but my goal was to race so I got short, and cheap, race like stuff.

Thanks for the helpful responses, if I can work a decent deal on some I'll go that way.

How 'bout Old and Stupid. I'm 43. Two years ago I got my first snowboard, a Factory Prime 151 and rode with my Technica Icon (race) ski boots - probably not the best learning setup, but my goal was to race so I got short, and cheap, race like stuff.

You've got a long way to go before you are old. I got my first driver's license about the time you were born, and I refuse to believe I'm old. I'm using TD1 bindings. But, I do use snowboard boots. Stiff ski boots in combination with the TD1s would be really stiff.