Note to New Members ×

inexpencive boots and bindings?

panthiest

Im currently riding a 97 burton factory prime 151 with K2 sonic boots and BLT clicker bindings (left over from my freestyle days). after almost killing myself on a number of occations iv decided its time to update my setup. I am, however, on a pretty tight budget... any suggestions?

As far as I know real ski boots WILL work with normal plate bindings as well as SOME types of stepin bindings, such as the rat-trap style. But at the same time you're not getting all you can get out of the boot/binding/board. I got my info from the "carvers almanac" at http://www.alpinecarving.com/ . Seems like there's some good info there.

those boots are a 28, I use a 28 or 28.5 boot depending on who makes the boot I'd say try to make a 27 work if you can, my street shoe is a 11 so if I were you Id try to get a smaller boot than a 28 since it's easier to make a boot bigger but real hard to make it smaller

I say this because you can fit into shoes two sizes smaller than I can but you have the same size boot.

no, not at all, a 11 is the smallest shoe I can get into, my foot measures 28.25 cm or so

I was telling you that a 27 for you is as big as I'd go if I were you with the size 9, that said I could make a 27 work MY 28.25cm foot with a shell stretch and by beating the liner a little if it was not fully moldable.

the next pair of boots I get might be 27.5s that I'll have some work done to, most good fitters will put you in a shell smaller than you thought you could make work.

for me I usually settle for what I can do the work on myself and with a 28 shell and a thermo liner I don't have to worry about going to a shop a few times to get it right.

I am going to say this though, measure your foot, buy according to the length of your foot on the mondo sizer maybe even go a half size smaller(actually I highly reccomend this) and pay the $50 for a fitting session and the $70 for footbeds, the footbeds with probably last longer than your boots as long as they are not cork ones and the fitting session with a good boot fitter makes a world of difference.

This comes from me, a guy who has worked in a shop and dealt with skiers and hard boots for a long time as well as me having some weird hobbit feet that are hard to fit, your boots are the one thing you should not skimp on, I'm not even saying not to buy used boots I am saying that this is where being informed, willing to spend a little extra and to take the time will make the most difference in your riding. Boots are the most critical part of the interface between you and your board.

since you're new to this and you're upgrading from softboots I'd say pick up some raichle 413s or something used but a bit small, you can can always make them bigger and the 413s can be had on a budget. if you can afford a new boot, go with the lemans or the track 225

in fact bomber has the 413 in your size for $150 with free shipping http://www.bomberonline.com/store/boots/raichle_sb_413.cfm

I may have access to a pair of 425s in a 26 or a 27 but I gotta ask where they are and they might even be smaller, they are however brand spanking new and still in the box but I don't want to tell you have have something that I don't so I'm gonna check it out so for now look elsewhere

if I do have access to them they'd be about $150 to 200 dpending on what the guy who has them wants for them, I know he paid around 350 or so then ended up moving to a place with no snow so they have never been ridden.

For whatever it's worth...

Last week I went to a shop and bought a new pair of boots as my previous ones were too big. They were Raichle SB225's. Size 27. I wear a size 9 1/2 shoe. The boot fitter put me into a pair of size 26 Head's. He indicated that if I wanted to go with the Deeluxe line, I'd probably need a size 25. The 27's were way too big.

I've ridden 1 day now on the Head's. The smaller boot made an enormous difference. I am going back to the fitter on Wed for a followup. The Head's feel really tight. They said at the shop that that's good. But I need just a little more room for comfy feet.