Note to New Members ×

Any reason not to go 200+? [Boardlength]

Neuffy

Well, based on the responses, I think I'm going to go with a ~195. Sure, eventually I'd love to have five to ten boards...but for now it just makes more sense to stay in the somewhat-reasonable category.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone.

Well, budget's an issue for this winter. It should be less of one for next winter.

Yeah, I can completely see how longer boards are a niche item, and not meant for everyday use.

However...I like niches. And for everyday stuff, I already have my Coiler, and I think I'll replace it with one pretty much exactly the same when I have to.

Trees are pretty much out for me now. After my Lake Louise...accident...I'm too afraid to go through trees.

Many thanks for the warnings though.

I would say that if you're going to get a >2m board, you should get a big radius on it. My Madd 180 has a 16m radius and it needs no more length than 180. So putting a 15ish m radius on a 200 means you're hauling around a lot of extra lumber for nothing. Unless you're a real big dude and need the extra edge.

I've spent a few hours on Todd Brown's Donek 205 with the 18.5m radius, and it's awesome. Talk about "taking it to the next level". I wouldn't want to take it out on crowded or choppy days though. You have to make an appointment to hockey-stop it.

Althought that may be common logic. It works for me. A big board that can go fast (very stable at speed) yet cranks a reasonably tight turn without monster effort. Fact is that prior to creating the Tinkler 203cm (second system board) I don't believe it had been done? At least I had not found one. What I did know for sure that time and time again I found that 15M SCR was what I favored. Yet the Tinkler system boards offers something mono construction boards have not. Dampening, flex and adjustment of both. There are allot of super well made boards out there. IMO , single construction boards are hard pressed to come close to the same feel and ride. I do like to have a number of different shapes and sizes , however the 203 with a 15 M SCR has been working very well, best of both worlds.

Just spent the last 3 days on the beefier "Silver on Silver" 203cm (Mikes Personal board) and it absolutely rips , increasing the sidecut radius would not be a benefit from my experience. I can tighten it up with incredible edge hold or relax and let it "GS" without ending up with a "Straightlining" board.

Of course to each his own. Perhaps trying one would provide a new perspective?

Tree accident:

Basically, I almost made it out of the trees (actually, there was only one tree left...), and was stopped dead in my tracks by one (~8 inches diameter). (I'm goofy) Left boot toe/binding, left knee, left hip, left side of chest, left side of head all into the same tree evenly. Just a dead stop.

Then about ten minutes later I manage to undo my bindings and make it to the trail. I do up my bindings, and on my first backside carve, my rear(left) boot pops out of the binding. I managed to hit the underside of my upper (left)arm on the front edge of the board, leaving a black bruise for about a month.

Turns out I'd discombobulated the rear binding hitting that tree. (Actually, it managed to bend metal on the toe clip...pretty damn hard impact.) I ended up having to ride the board down sitting in between the bindings, holding onto the bail with my good hand. That part, actually, was pretty fun. Thankfully, it was at that point after the lifts had closed, and so the face was pretty empty.

For anyone interested in where this was, look at

http://skilouise.com/images/the-mountain/LL_Frontside_0506.jpg

and find #73. Then find the trees in the direction of the closest #1 and that'll be it. Maybe a bit higher than the line between the 73 and the closest 1.

Ever since then I've just been uncomfortable in denser trees. I'll probably get over it eventually, but it just isn't fun currently. Although, I'd note, I don't mind small trees or minor obstacles, just large, dense trees.

I happen to know of a guy that rode a 200+ all last year, and is riding a 220 (? - might be a few cm off) for testing this weekend. Inside scoop, you may say.

I bought a 188 Burner and a 197 after a client of mine gave me his 188 to ride for a couple of months. Loved the 188 and thought it was the bomb until I took out the 197.

Pros: It never gives up and doesn't chatter. Like ever.

Will carve as hard as you wil.

Never folds the nose.

Can sit on the tail late in the carve without fear of the "human catapult effect".

Is remarkably stable straight lining and throwing in a 40 mph SG turn (if you have the strength)

Makes girls in the lift line go "My what a long board you have"

Cons: Need to be going about 20 plus before the board starts to work.

Very uncomfortable to do switch carving.

Trees are straight out.

It makes the boards you used to like to carve on seem like chattery, undersized welterweights competing at heavyweight level.

Makes some boys in the lift line go "My what a long board you have". Not that there is anything wrong with that.

IMHO for sure.

I bought a 188 Burner and a 197 after a client of mine gave me his 188 to ride for a couple of months. Loved the 188 and thought it was the bomb until I took out the 197.

Pros: It never gives up and doesn't chatter. Like ever.

Will carve as hard as you wil.

Never folds the nose.

Can sit on the tail late in the carve without fear of the "human catapult effect".

Is remarkably stable straight lining and throwing in a 40 mph SG turn (if you have the strength)

Makes girls in the lift line go "My what a long board you have"

Cons: Need to be going about 20 plus before the board starts to work.

Very uncomfortable to do switch carving.

Trees are straight out.

It makes the boards you used to like to carve on seem like chattery, undersized welterweights competing at heavyweight level.

Makes some boys in the lift line go "My what a long board you have". Not that there is anything wrong with that.

IMHO for sure.

This was my exact same feelings toward the Burner 197, exactly. I would add that things just get rather quiet , it is damp and fast and although you know you are hauling , it seems very quiet. The cons- waiting at the lift for your friends NOT on burners. As Doug recently stated about his 222cm , on the mountain it is "Anti-Social" and after making a few runs with him on my 203cm , I know exactly what he means. That is why it is more fun to get your friends hooked on longboards too!! The point about the Burner "Getting up to Speed" , is another reason the 15M SCR on my 203cm works well in making it more usuable at lower speeds too. Anyone that loves the Burner 197, should try one of the Tinkler System boards if they have a chance. I think it raises the bar several notches. IMO.

This was my exact same feelings toward the Burner 197, exactly. I would add that things just get rather quiet , it is damp and fast and although you know you are hauling , it seems very quiet. The cons- waiting at the lift for your friends NOT on burners. As Doug recently stated about his 222cm , on the mountain it is "Anti-Social" and after making a few runs with him on my 203cm , I know exactly what he means. That is why it is more fun to get your friends hooked on longboards too!! The point about the Burner "Getting up to Speed" , is another reason the 15M SCR on my 203cm works well in making it more usuable at lower speeds too. Anyone that loves the Burner 197, should try one of the Tinkler System boards if they have a chance. I think it raises the bar several notches. IMO.

Keith,

I have a good idea. Why don't you bring your board over here (SV) for a couple of days (mid-week preferably) we swap my bindings onto your 203, you ride your backup 203 ( I know you have about 6) and then I buy you an ice cold Sammy Adams.

I know sounds pretty good, huh. But wait there's more. Due to my expert perfect detecting abilities I will show the best that the Valley has to offer in the way of bitchin' cord.

One last thing. I will pretend you are my client and we can get on the lift at 8:30 when no one but a few ski patrollers and some other instructor geeks are around and we can see if we can straightline Warm Springs?? :eplus2::eplus2:

So when are you going to be here? Cause after that tease about the Burner being _ _ _ _ and then the Tinkler being - - - - (that is two notches higher for anyone who can't figure this out) you gotta help me out.

If I wanted to get hurt (or even to have "real" risk...) I'd be in the park.

One of the best things about alpine snowboarding is that when you're cranked over, even if you lose your edge, you only fall a couple feet. The whole low-implact thing is part of what attracted me in the first place.

Keith,

I have a good idea. Why don't you bring your board over here (SV) for a couple of days (mid-week preferably) we swap my bindings onto your 203, you ride your backup 203 ( I know you have about 6) and then I buy you an ice cold Sammy Adams.

I know sounds pretty good, huh. But wait there's more. Due to my expert perfect detecting abilities I will show the best that the Valley has to offer in the way of bitchin' cord.

One last thing. I will pretend you are my client and we can get on the lift at 8:30 when no one but a few ski patrollers and some other instructor geeks are around and we can see if we can straightline Warm Springs?? :eplus2: :eplus2:

So when are you going to be here? Cause after that tease about the Burner being _ _ _ _ and then the Tinkler being - - - - (that is two notches higher for anyone who can't figure this out) you gotta help me out.

Sounds like a plan!! Let's do this!!! TINKLER TRUCK in route!!!:biggthump

Doug is already on first name basis with many of the patrollers.

:eplus2::1luvu:

Bryan