Note to New Members ×

Montana

Dr D

Hi John, If you make it to Big Sky give us a shout and we'll show you the mountain. Big Sky finally got some snow w/about 10 inches in the last 24 hrs.

Cool... I just booked my flight! Getting in at 10am in Bozeman on Feb 11th; fly out on the 17th.

I was there years ago, two weeks after I first learned to snowboard:

http://johnstewart.com/video/BigSky_YardSales.avi

But I've not been back yet, and certainly never ridden a carve board there, so I'd be curious as to recommendations for slopes for that. I'll certainly bring my freestyle board in case there is powder to be had, but I'll also probably bring my Axis as well (dunno about skis; I've not done that in years and suck badly).

It is technically warming up:biggthump -3f at the summit this AM. great day with hero groom and light crowds:lol: It was a little wind glazed in places but really overall it was sublime. I lost contact with my face for a while but It was to good to stop. I got 2 runs in down big ravine behind the groomer at 3pm It was like heaven. Tried out the skwal for a while and scared the hell out of myself. ITs a screamer it starts to steer somewhere in the neighborhood of 40mph not unlike the amputator:freak3: . conditions are shaping up good for you guys the base is fantastic and its snowing up there right now!

I recomend you pick a day and hit blacktail mtn down on the lake for a day of perfect groomers. thursday is $20 lift tickets and the groom is perfect until late in the afternoon. The terrain is well suited to the longer boards and the crowds are non existent.

I can get up to the mountain saturday tuesday thursday and again saturday with dano. phone 406-253-5420 if you guys need anything let me know. otherwise I will just look for the tore up groom and the scent of alcohol:biggthump

I spent 7 hours on the OSIN 4807 while it snowed tractor trailers and UFO's. I haven't had so much fun in years. bring your powder boards its getting deep. It snowed all day and this afternoon it was snowing so hard you could not see 2 chair lengths. I had a half inch of snow on me by the time I hit the top of chair 1 the last run.

the armour paid for itself today on several occasions due to my overexuberance. the last time I was literally run over and stabbed by a fifty year old skier while running down a cat track. this idiot comes up on my left side and then proceeds to skate without noticing that he is 3 inches from my backside edge. I rocked up on my toeside to avoid getting stabbed by his pole, he then skates his right ski underneath my board and then all hell broke loose. what a moron. he says I am sorry I didn't know you were there when I started to skate. HELLO I am huge and you just came from behind me what did youthink I just vanished into thin air when you passed me. and they say snowboarders cause wrecks. :angryfire :angryfire :angryfire

anyway conditions are currently spectacular champagne powder in copious amounts over a very nicely groomed base. I saw a guy running a 185 identity under the powder with no problems whatsoever. Its so light you can run under it on the groom and plow right through the piles. It looks good for your trip anyway.

saturday was great we retired shred and crew to the hot tub by 2pm and Paulk and I closed down the lifts riding deep and steep. The guy has chops I will give him that. hard boots and a narrow board on 60 degree slopes with 4ft of powder. we had a blast. Its looking like good groomers for the early part of the week and maybe some fresh stuff later on. updates as possible.:biggthump

Well, well PaulK.... it looks like you found someone that likes to ride as hard as you do.... I know those other guys are on vacation and like to party it up.... BUT YA GOTTA RIDE! I know it's hard on those ole leg muscles when you are used to riding at a place without much vert..... Oh well, everyone goes their own speed and at their own pace, right????

Again Paul and I fought off waves of powder until it got heavy and wet late in the day. something like 14 inches while we were on the mtn. I don't know where the ski patrol is measuring but they have been underreporting all year. Very strange. Paul and I dug down to yesterdays groom on an untracked run at about 3pm and the snow was as deep as from pauls elbow to the tips of his fingers. incredible. incriminating fotos from hellroaring saloon will be posted later. Some of Shreds best turn were between the bar and the upstairs restroom:lol:

Cool... I just booked my flight! Getting in at 10am in Bozeman on Feb 11th; fly out on the 17th.

QUOTE]

Hi John,

Let's coordinate on your big sky trip. We moved out here this summer and it would be fun to make some runs. I'm typing this from up on the mountain. Hot weather finally broke, so now we need some more snow, but it will come. Base is still good.

Robert, if that was you replying to John further up thread, I need to hook up with you and Lynn. I've been looking for you on the slopes all week, but haven't seen you out. Shoot me a note through BOL and we'll coordinate next time I'm up.

Well, well PaulK.... it looks like you found someone that likes to ride as hard as you do.... I know those other guys are on vacation and like to party it up.... BUT YA GOTTA RIDE! I know it's hard on those ole leg muscles when you are used to riding at a place without much vert..... Oh well, everyone goes their own speed and at their own pace, right????

I was thinking of you as I dragged the group around hellroaring basin one day, It turned into a daily event for the rest of the week. at least for some of us!

Dr D. was great company, wouldn't have enjoyed the powder days without him. Thanks again Doc!

post-520-141842228255_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Doc, got the Email. Thanks for the offer, but have to pass at the moment..future is so bright that I have to wear sunglasses...must return to Colorado in march....and april....and june....and.....?

Kinpa...Any new news? you can't tell me you missed the daily rub-in? tell me it isn't so. Hope all is well!

Kinpa...Any new news? you can't tell me you missed the daily rub-in? tell me it isn't so. Hope all is well!

Yes, Paul....... I'm sorry I did miss it on the "daily" basis, but read it all a few days ago.... I read and read and read and gawked at all I missed this year ( could do without the powder, but the groomed stuff looked great to me!). I guess I've been staying off the main message boards because I am suffering a little withdrawl. UGH! I've got a ski trip planned for tomorrow with my little one (she's five now) and she's almost good enough that by next year, I should be able to snowboard while she skiis. Sometimes she still wants help off the lift though.... and she skiis SOOOOOOO slow..... I've got a ski trip planned for Thursday too, but I really think I may have to stop after that. I haven't gained a ton of weight (about 23 lbs so far) and my balance seems ok, but my back has been hurting, so it may be time to call it quits for this season.

I'm about 5 weeks away from having this baby.... My due date is April 1st, but I'm thinking it will be the Wednesday before. I'm having a scheduled C-Section and the doctor's surgery day is on Wednesdays. I still don't know if it's a boy or a girl, but maybe I'll be able to find out at the Dr's appt next week.

I was up at the storage shed today looking through baby stuff and the snowboards were sitting there staring at me....

Well, next time you're on the hill, take a run for me, ok?

Kathy

Let's coordinate on your big sky trip. We moved out here this summer and it would be fun to make some runs. I'm typing this from up on the mountain. Hot weather finally broke, so now we need some more snow, but it will come. Base is still good.

Hey Chad - it was good riding with ya.

We didn't get much carving in when we hooked up on Monday since there was so much powder. =) =)

Conditions kicked ass through the week (Wed/Thurs I spent on the groomed stuff, though)... but Friday it sucked - the place was closed down except for the Swift Current lift due to wind hold. =(

I just edited together a video of our trip... perhaps not of interest to most, but there are a couple of shots of carving (and crashing):

http://johnstewart.com/blog/2007/02/22/big-sky-2007/

johnS

Hey John,

It was nice to meet you. Glad you had a good week and the groomers settled down after all the powder chop we pounded through on Monday.

I checked out the vid. Good stuff.

It's still snowing like crazy in Big Sky. Hard to get any good groomers with all the snowfall. Plenty of coverage, finally, with little to no fear of rocks so I took out the Coiler for the first time yesterday. Quite the different animal than my Axis. Snow conditions were bad (skied off powder turned to chop) but I just had to try it. I'm hoping for some better groomer days in the near future.

Let me know if you ever head back this way so we can ride again.