Note to New Members ×

If Global Warming is wrong...

Rob Stevens

... I don't want to be right.

Here in Alberta, even if it stops snowing now, our base is nuts.

Sledding and Noboarding in Golden, B.C. yesterday with 8 feet on the ground (2.5 ft in the last 2 days... stay on that throttle!)

I have NEVER seen coastal snow like this here. It is literally sticking to everything, with excellent bonding of the layers. The pit we dug showed no weaknesses. This will change with temps, but we didn't shift a thing, regardless of slope angle. There is a melt / freeze crust down there and if it goes on that, it'll be massive. Now, the shear, compression and Reutchblock tests we did yielded nothing.

Lake Louise has snow sticking in places where it rarely, if ever, stays. It's normally too dry to hang around for long. The usual routine is snow, followed by a scouring wind. This snow is too heavy and bonded to the ground to be moved.

So, if this is the result of our voratious appetites for natural resources, then it seems to be working out for us.

Talk about a narrow-view, single-minded, ignorant approach to a global catastrophe in-the-making...biggthumpup.gif

... the other half and I were planning to go to Louise on Dec 2, but we might be making a weekend of it at Kicking Horse instead. The snow there looks INSANE. You can't waste powder like that.

Now we just need it to warm up 10 deg C or so, and it'll all be good!

Here in Australia, the weather trend over the last few decades has been hotter and drier. Our snow season has gone from being generally mediocre to being outright marginal - there is now little snow each winter, and due to the warmer temps, as much rain as there is snow.

There's a place where you can see the old runs that were cut through the trees in the 50s, and no snow ever falls that low down any more.

It sucks.

But I've made the adjustment to skateboarding instead.