Note to New Members ×

Audi R8 is pretty ugly

C5 Golfer

Businessweek says this:

The new $130,000 R8 supercar is Audi's most serious bid to overtake BMW, Mercedes, and Porsche

By Matt Vella

What is it? Audi's bet that the best way to shake off image issues is with a fiery supercar

Where's It From? Germany

What's It Cost? About $130,000

What's Underhood? 420 horsepower V8

How's It Go? Zero to 62 mph in 4.6 seconds

I don't think this car costing 130K is going to take much market share away from even Corvette if it looks like this guy in the photo - but that just my opinion. It may look good to a guy who has $130K to throw away.

post-53-141842221693_thumb.jpg

I frigging love it. I don't have $130k to throw away, but I still think it looks AMAZING. I'm betting that the same thing that happened to the Ford GT will happen with this. Sticker is $130K, the dealers will print up their own stickers that say $230k and they will sell for $240K. I would buy one in a heartbeat if I had the money.

While I like the fact that many Audi's come in AWD- I am still a BMW girl :biggthump

And since I am opinionated on car aesthetics, I don't really think this one is all that attractive. I don't get the point of having another section of the car that looks different. It reminds me of the people in my old town who would grow up, F up their car, and get a new part for the body that was taken off another car- so it would either be in Primer, or some other mismatching color.

Is that going to have the detuned v-10 from the Gallardo, or is that another Audi I'm thinking of?

I know that the S8 will have that engine (sport tuned A8), I'm not sure about the R8. It would be reasonable to assume that it would share that engine, or perhaps with the 420hp it won't be detuned. I should really stop reading all those auto mags.

The R8 is based on the gallardo but will start out production with the v8 that is in the S4 420hp they plan on stuffing the lambo v10 by the end of the first production year...the article is in this months car and driver oh and I was wrong the about the backdoors they dont open and they are called "blades"

Well. If this is the famous R8 engine from Le Mans then it makes the car interesting, but I do not believe that it could be for this price.

First of all BMW M5 offers their detuned F1 engine (V10) that is more powerful, but what is more important it has definitely more torque which translates to good acceleration. V10 engines have less vibrations than 8-cylinder engines (ask any designer engineer at F1).

Now, Audi might be quick car, but I bet it will noty beat Corvette on performance or price. Also acceleration on straight has nothing to do with real driving (unless you go to Monza race track... which some of folks probably do). As an example I can give a car that I drive for events (cause I have bimmer for regular driving only now) that beats on regular basis most of Porsche's with 2-3 times more powerful engines. That is Miata (and a someone on this board knows this car better than me from his events... which I only started this year). I saw amazing situations in street like setup in autocross. And yes those powerful cars are not reachable for any casual car on long straights at very high speeds (as high I mean way over 100mph... sometimes at 200mph... what happend a few times in amatour performance driving on track).

Ugly? Maybe. I have learned that most of my "current environment" likes something which I consider "sub-elegant", but that's just a matter of taste and as one Euro in the USA I do not need to be the same as others :p Honestly I do not like this Audi and I do not like Audi cars in general (their design is somwhat cheesy for me), but I do respect their engine technology that is far beyond reach of any manufacturer at this time.

Well. If this is the famous R8 engine from Le Mans then it makes the car interesting, but I do not believe that it could be for this price.

nope, it's using the engine front the already released RS4 (not to be confused with the S4 - which only puts out around 340 hp and has a much milder and softer suspension setup). exactly the same.

as for the corvette, if all i was gonna do was race cars on the track, then i'd definitely pick up a z06. can't beat the car bang for the buck wise, although the new ones aren't as much of a bargain as they used to be at $70k+.

if i wanted some prestige/wow factor, definitely a european sports car - aston martin, porsche, mercedies amg models, bmw M models, that audi R8, and ferrari/lamborgini for that extra bling bling. the R8 will definitely fit the bill of those cars, especially since there are very few on the road

corvettes are cool, but if you're looking to impress, it's the wrong car. it may be fast, and it may perform well on the track, but as far as wow and prestige are concerned, it's still a chevy and there's way too many of them... Ford GT or Dodge Viper (even though it's aging now in comparison to the most recent corvettes) are better bets.