Note to New Members ×

Has anyone had torn meniscus surgery?

Guest gsmolik

hey!

if it's not more than expectet from the doc, it is realistic. don't panic before you know exactly what's up with the meniscus...they do this everyday.

try to keep your muscels as fit (maybe you have a stationary bicycle trainer) as possible makes you even easier to recover. mostly after surgery there is some strange feeling, but everyone gets used to that and you will be back on the track soon:biggthump

all the best mate!

Had 4 of them during the 90s :eek:

Discuss with the doc about removing the absolute MINIMUM material possible.

You will have some residual fluid from the scope left in the knee joint space. This will cause some instablilty and rage of motion loss. It will take a good 3 weeks for your body to eliminate that fluid.

Dont be in a rush to get back, Think mid January and you will come back even stronger than before the procedure.

Three procedures here...

ACL in 97, and tuneups (miniscus, cartilage) in 2002 and 2006. All three were scheduled for April or May to avoid disrupting the winter season.

After the most recent one, I was banned from playing golf for six weeks. Maybe mine is so far gone that he was being cautious. Prior to the surgery the arthritis was so bad that the knee was locking up because of bone-on-bone. He used something (grinding wheel?) and abraded the surface enough that it now feels better than in the past four years. Can't wait to try it out.

Good luck to you and don't push the recovery. The advice you got about strengthening the surrounding muscles is excellent.

sounds realistic to me. i had the same surgery before, at the end of october. however, mine also had a few bone chips floating around in my knee. i had some physical therapy and i was on the slopes by january.

i could have gone earlier but snow coverage wasn't that great (it's SoCal), and i was being extra cautious and really working my legs out. wanna strengthen those quads and hamstrings as much as possible.

anyway, good luck with the surgery, as long as it's not a torn ACL or LCL i think you should be fine.

Guest shrederjen

Had my surgery 12 Sept 2006.

Doc said no squats and lunges for 6 - 8 weeks, but

could do everything else. I rode exactly 7 weeks to the day after.

Still not perfect, but, rode 4 days in a row last week.

I found that getting on a stationary bike (on day 3 after) and then riding my mountain bike alot, really helped.

Guest gsmolik

I'm in ohio, and any decent snow usually isn't around until the end of Dec. Plus I have no plans to go west or east this year. I would wait until after

the winter, but work is starting to get really difficult. Also it's my right knee, which for me is my rear foot and I don't think I can put the board on edge with the way it feels right now. I plan I doing what it takes to get it in shape.

Thanks for all your responses and support, it helps alot.

I was back on my board in six days. That was taking it easy, but hey, they signed me off work for four weeks and there was snow on the hill. What would you expect ?. It took two years and a lot of inline skating (great for building lateral stability) befor I could say it was fully recovered. My regime was to ice for half an hour and then use a heat pad for 15mins befor activity. I seemed to have a lot less problems when my knee was preheated for exercise. I didn't need any of the hard pain killers, just ibuprophen.

Befor and after...

BobD

edit - I was 44 at the time

post-340-141842221717_thumb.jpg

post-340-141842221719_thumb.jpg

I'm going in to have my knee scoped for a torn meniscus next week. The Doc

said I should be on my board in 3-4 weeks if everything goes well. Is

this realistic?

Have you ever heard of Prolo Therapy? It is an alternative to surgery. Though it is not main stream it has been around since the 50's. It has even been endorsed strongly by the former surgeon general C. Everet Koop. Some U.S. ski team members have had it and rumor has it that Boddie is one of them.It works on many soft tissue injuries ligaments tendons and cartilages. I don't know if you with your particular tear would be a candidate for prolo or not but I recomend that anyone considering knee surgery of any type look into prolo therapy befor going under the knife to see if this proceedure could help them.

I'm going in to have my knee scoped for a torn meniscus next week. The Doc

said I should be on my board in 3-4 weeks if everything goes well. Is

this realistic?

Have you ever heard of Prolo Therapy? It is an alternative to surgery. Though it is not main stream it has been around since the 50's. It has even been endorsed strongly by the former surgeon general C. Everet Koop. Some U.S. ski team members have had it and rumor has it that Boddie is one of them.It works on many soft tissue injuries ligaments tendons and cartilages. I don't know if you with your particular tear would be a candidate for prolo or not but I recomend that anyone considering knee surgery of any type look into prolo therapy befor going under the knife to see if this proceedure could help them.

I know several people who have had it with good results. Their injuries have been partial tears of acl's miniscus tears, medial colateral tears, back injuries, shoulders etc.

I'm doing it at this time. And it seems to be working very well.

Google Prolo therapy and check it out

David Glynn

I have had a few.The best way i have been tought was stationary bike and water work out if you have acess keep your quads strong as possible.1st week ice and asprin 20min on ice 20 off this is all dependent on the how bad the tear is and how good your surgon is. I did my last meniscus tear when i was 35 and in very good shape and it took 6 weeks before i was back on the hill. The first couple of runs were shaky for me then it was all good, don`t worry it is amazing what they can do now and how quick you can recover.You will get the idea do the PT right and you will be back on the hill in no time.

Isnt that when they inject you with sugar water?

reminds me of when seinfeld dropped the jr mint in someone and they had a miracle healing.

None the less, I had a tick in one of my knees years ago and the dr did inject some solution into my knee and 3 weeks later it was not clicking as much, 6 months later no clicking.

I do belive it was the same concept, but not sugar water. So it does work for some problems.

Isnt that when they inject you with sugar water?

reminds me of when seinfeld dropped the jr mint in someone and they had a miracle healing.

None the less, I had a tick in one of my knees years ago and the dr did inject some solution into my knee and 3 weeks later it was not clicking as much, 6 months later no clicking.

I do belive it was the same concept, but not sugar water. So it does work for some problems.

Yeah prolo therapy is basicaly injections of a glucose or dextrose solution into the damaged tissue ( after the body has had time to heal as much as it can on its own). The proliferant acts as an irritant and the body thinks its been injured (feels just like you did your knee but you haven't) and starts the healing cascade of events. The first wave is the macrophages which clean up the area and the second wave is the fibroblasts that start laying in new collagen tissue.

My knees have been bothering me for a while and i finally decided to go for the prolo ( there never seemed to be a convinient time for surgery ). I have had several knee injuries over the years (starting when i was 14 ) but no surgeries even though I was told by my doctor that they were needed.

My prolo doc diagnosed me with significant tears in both acl's and one pcl . Plus laxity in both mcls, a tear in one medial miniscus and a hole in one of my articular cartilages. None of that was news to me. Since starting treatment in late august were I was testing at about 10% on my left and 40% on my right acls I was about 75% on both by the first of nov. and the doc says I should be 100% by the first of the year. My torn miniscus which use to move and catch several times a day has not moved since the first of nov.

Is it and the rest of it healed? probably not yet but it sure feels like everything is going in the right direction. The proof will be in the pudding as they say so you might want to ask me how things are going after the season is over. But I must say that my knees have not felt this good in YEARS!

By the way I was on the moutain today for the first time this season and everything felt good.