Note to New Members ×

Board Length too short???

Guest g1ngerrevolution

Guest g1ngerrevolution

In softies I've been told that a 220lb gentleman like myself should be riding a 160-170 board, pretty much regardless of height. I regularly ride a 161 & a 165 fatty (for softer stuff).

In the "how to buy" it suggests that:

If you are new to alpine boards, a deck that stands somewhere between your chin and your nose will be a good start.

I've recently aquired a 158 Rossi "demon" that I was going to take for a spin. It comes up to between my chin & lower lip.

Questions:

A) Being as the board is so thin, is this too short? Should I try & trade it for something longer?

B) What do other people in the 220lb 6' range ride?

As I'm not going anywhere near powder at least there's no chance of me sinking :D

It will be fine for "Just a spin", and getting acquinted with carving, but you will very quickly outgrow it and want more board.

At 5'9 220+, I have gone as short as 158,but would generally stay no shorter than a 163 slalom board, and ride a 184 GS board most of the time. If anyone wants to send me a Donek or coiler that might be even better than 184 rossi (the only alpine setup I have left) that would be Great!

-Good luck and have fun-

Noah

That article should say "....if you are roughly average height and weight". What can I say, being 5'11" 170lbs, I am a born "size-ist". You'll probably think the board is too short pretty soon. Then again, you might really enjoy it. If you've never carved a turn in hardboots before, this board should carve well for you on the greens, which is where you need to go when learning to carve.

-Jack

Like Jack said, the board will be fun to learn carving on greens. With your weight (I weigh 230 - so I know) you will really be able to bend the board. When you put it on edge, it is really going to turn. Once you get the hang of it, you will be able to take this board to more difficult slopes, but you are going to have to make sure that you stay centered on it. If you get up front toward the nose, or "get in the back seat" toward the tail, you will over power the board and end up on your can or on your face. I would suggest that you move your stance as wide as you are comfortable with. If you learn to stay centered on it, you may find that you really enjoy it! Have fun.