Note to New Members ×

Sun Valley Idaho...

Jeffrey Day

Anyone ever freeride/carve at Sun Valley? Any kind of info would be cool! Best time to go. Where to stay. How crowded it might be. How far would Sun Valley be from Ogden, Utah?

Thanks!

I work for the ski co here (teaching) and get a free ride at Snowbasin so I do the reverse once in a while. About four to five hours depending on roads and your personal speed.

SV is a little steeper than some are comfortable with, I think it is the finest mountain for carving that I have ever experienced and why I am still here.

The second week of January through the second week of February is the prime carving time for winter chalk. And no people. :biggthump

Before and after that it can be a little more marginal or springlike or something else. Still can be great. Just a week before the mountain closed this last year we had full winter chalk, perfectly groomed for about three days. :ices_ange :D :o

So come on up and lets go destroy some grooming.

Jerry

Jerry, you are lying. It is the worst! Crappy groomed, HUGE crowds. lousy runs, the list goes on and on....... Stay away! Especially when I go in March, Like I do every year because I hate it so much. I wish they could do something about the crappy weather too. Who likes Blue Bird? Not me! They need more Pea Soup fog as far as Im concerned. Dont even get me started on the locals. What a surly bunch! I even met a guy (MJ) who drove up from Boise to ride with me and he was so rude he dropped me on every run, Especially the top to bottom Warm Springs we did laps on. And the worst part was how my legs feel after. If you like fried legs every day, then go for it. I personally like to be able to walk to my car. Maybe if the snow was less grippy and the runs shorter, it would be a better place. Just my .02 :D

P.S. You can see how crappy the snow was in my Avatar from the Seattle Ridge side so be warned!

Jerry, you are lying. It is the worst! Crappy groomed, HUGE crowds. lousy runs, the list goes on and on....... Stay away! Especially when I go in March, Like I do every year because I hate it so much. I wish they could do something about the crappy weather too. Who likes Blue Bird? Not me! They need more Pea Soup fog as far as Im concerned. Dont even get me started on the locals. What a surly bunch! I even met a guy (MJ) who drove up from Boise to ride with me and he was so rude he dropped me on every run, Especially the top to bottom Warm Springs we did laps on. And the worst part was how my legs feel after. If you like fried legs every day, then go for it. I personally like to be able to walk to my car. Maybe if the snow was less grippy and the runs shorter, it would be a better place. Just my .02 :D

P.S. You can see how crappy the snow was in my Avatar from the Seattle Ridge side so be warned!

Too well.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Jerry,

Do you know of any ski clubs that might have a lodge near Sun Valley? Or maybe a Hostel or a nice but inexpensive place to stay? It looks like I might be coming out that way 1/21/01 thru 1/24/07! Looks like a sweet place to ride!

Jeff

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=12982

Take a look at this Jeff. I'm looking to share this option and don't realy care what dates. It looks like it would be a quick turnaround for them on the 21st but maybe it would work? ssegress@earthlink.net

Jeffrey, we were there a few years ago, I loved it other than the snobs in the $1000.00 outfits at lunch. the trick is to go west side to east side. the crowds go east to west with the sun then you only hit them at noon.

We found it to be groomed very well. hope that helps.

Funny I have been riding here for 16 years and have not run into any snobs. Yeah there are a few people who spend more on ski clothes in a year than what my car cost. These are the same folks who then donate the stuff to a "thrift" store that supports one of the best community libraries in the country. I guess that is another story.

I just picked up an Ultra prime with binders for $20 there. :biggthump

Hey guys.

I only did a couple of runs but it was great. My Burners are not coming out yet, there are some rocks and it is early season.

Warm Springs was pretty awesome especially the lower half. They had just opened Upper on Friday when I went and it will take a few passes before it settles down.

Canyon and River Run were good. blue Grouse rather rough. I heard Lower College was great.

Of course Sun Valley is doing there typical blow two inches of duff on great groom to totally screw up the Extreme carve scene.

Come have fun,

Jerry

I've heard Sun Valley is one of the better (best?) NA mountain for ECing. True, yes/no?

One of the best I have ever seen. YEs, Yes. Early season they are blowing lots of snow and one of my frustrations is the way too good of grooming that they do, followed by running the guns on every run on the mtn for about a half and hour each, just to complete screw up there grooming with two inches of inconsistently sprayed cream cheese like snow. :mad: One of my carving buddies folded the nose on a curb of this crap and broke his ankle a couple of years back. Usually just an early season issue.

Other than that. :biggthump :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just had to wine a little I guess, please pass the extra sharp cheddar and a couple of veggie thins please.

http://www.visitsunvalley.com/listings/index.cfm?&catID=240&notify=1

The Lift Tower Lodge, Tamarack, Clarion, Kentwood and Tyrolean in roughly that order cheapest to most for hotels in Ketchum.

Ketchum is where you want to be to score the skier girls for sure, or to go drinking and stagger home to your room and still be five minutes from the lifts in the morning.

Hailey and Bellevue offer cheaper lodgings and a 20-30 minute drive to the lifts.

Dont know if that helps much.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know if Sun Valley offers discount lift tickets? If so, where would I buy them? How are the conditions shaping up at Sun Valley?

Thanks and I can't wait to check it out!

Hi Jeffrey,

Unfortunately the Co does not offer much in the way of discounts.If you are affiliated with a ski school or other professional or volunteer organization (like a back country ski patrol or volunteer mountain patrol) they will give about a 25-30% off the full boat price. You need a letter or set it up ahead of time. Also I have heard that if you have a full season pass from another resort they will sometimes give a discount for that. Snowbasin passes should also qualify for a decent discount.

If I can help I will, when are you coming? We have had about 20 inches in the last week and the mountain is riding quite well. If we get a no snow cycle and cold (as predicted) for the next week, the carving will be insane.

:smashfrea

Have to say as much as I like the snow now, I am very looking forward to that.

I'll be riding Sun Valley Sunday 1/14/07 thru Wednesday 1/17/07! After that I'll be heading down to Utah thru the 27th to hit up a few areas there! Seeing that our winter on the east coast hasn't quite arrived yet, I'm totally looking forward to going out west! I'm going to be in rough shape though as I've only got one day under my belt so far this year.

See ya!