Note to New Members ×

The Great White Midwest

JJFluff

The endless slopes of Sunburst Ski Area, near Milwaukee, Wisconsin will be opening one run this Friday at 4pm. If you really want to test your abilities, try to make it down a run of icy november manmade- with about 150+ kids and highschoolers. Of course, all they do is sit in the middle of the run and line up for a 12inch "kicker" that little bobby constructed, to try out his new board he got on ebay for his birthday.

After waiting all summer to ride snow again, it is a very hard decision out here in wisconsin. Dodge bullets on popcorn snow. Or be patient and wait a few more weeks.

nov12006small.jpg

They opened a run at Tyrol Basin on Oct. 15th. They threw out a bunch of rails for the kiddies and don't have a lift running, but it is free if you're willing to hike. They have been making like crazy this week and actually have some decent coverage. I was down there to pick up my pass this week and it looks prety good. HEre's the snow report:

The cold weather is here and we are making snow. We had a full night of making snow on Tuesday night (10/31) and we will continue to make snow the rest of the week as long as the temperatures allow. We plan to be open on Sat. and Sun., 11/4 & 11/5, most likely from 9am to 5pm on both days. We will plan to have Tobel and Trollway open with Chairlift A running and YES, WE WILL HAVE RAILS AND BOXES OUT ON THE RUNS. Please keep on checking our website for updates.

You can tell we cater to the jib crowd, but no one else really shows up this early in the season.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey MIDDLE AMERICA Guys! where are the best carving hills here on the flatlands?? I am familiar with Sundown (Dubuque, IA) and Chestnut (Galena, IL).

Our Cedar Rapids, IA ski club does Wild, Welch, Granite Peak, Michigan's UP etc...

What do folks think of these? Any hidden gems? I know there is a bit of a carving/race community in Mpls area. Any regular 'get togethers' in the works? I'm in heavy withdrawal, man. The shakes are getting pretty bad!

edit: If it helps... I'll apologise for the cheesehead comment

edit: If it helps... I'll apologise for the cheesehead comment

I guess I can overlook it. But unfortunately, I wouldn't consider much around here a "gem". The reason I stick to my little hill, (pictured above) is they put a lot of money and work into there snowmaking cababilities. With a good stretch of cold air, they make the best snow. I'm not sure how they do it, but on a good day, it rivals the real stuff. After a nice grooming, you'd think you were outwest. Unfortunately after 10-20 turns its time to go to the top again. Plus there isn't much variation.